Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep thats a good point why add to the problem. Do you drive a car? Do you use electricity? Do you use plastic? Have you ever thrown away a battery of any type? If you do any of the following you add to the problem. You can also completely avoid the health concerns by diving boats that have non-smoking rules. I

I think smoking needs to be put into proper context. No I don't smoke. I don't enjoy smelling the smoke, but I'm not so retentive as to force everyone to stop or never smoke. I also wouldn't ask some one to put out there smoke because I want to stand down wind of them which is what happened in Dons case. I would also suggest that the non-smoker also has as much a respopnsibility as the smoker the ensure the boat has clearly established smoking rules. If it's not mention in the pre-departure briefing by the boat capt then the non-smoker should ask before your underway or assume the boat allows smoking.

GeekDiver:
Yep thats a good point why add to the problem. Do you drive a car? Do you use electricity? Do you use plastic? Have you ever thrown away a battery of any type? If you do any of the following you add to the problem. You can also completely avoid the health concerns by diving boats that have non-smoking rules. I

I think smoking needs to be put into proper context. No I don't smoke. I don't enjoy smelling the smoke, but I'm not so retentive as to force everyone to stop or never smoke. I also wouldn't ask some one to put out there smoke because I want to stand down wind of them which is what happened in Dons case. I would also suggest that the non-smoker also has as much a respopnsibility as the smoker the ensure the boat has clearly established smoking rules. If it's not mention in the pre-departure briefing by the boat capt then the non-smoker should ask before your underway or assume the boat allows smoking.
But the difference is that smoking serves no real useful purpose nor should it be a necessity. And I do take measures to reduce waste in such areas. Cars - walk, bike, car pool when I can. Electricity - a necessity for living. But I try to conserve, even bought those expensive low wattage jobs that last a zillion years but use a fraction of the electricity. Plastic - try to avoid it when I can. Batteries - switched to rechargeable NiMH for just about everything.

As for asking smokers to stop, well, see my response from post #132.

Warren_L:
But the difference is that smoking serves no real useful purpose nor should it be a necessity. And I do take measures to reduce waste in such areas. Cars - walk, bike, car pool when I can. Electricity - a necessity for living. But I try to conserve, even bought those expensive low wattage jobs that last a zillion years but use a fraction of the electricity. Plastic - try to avoid it when I can. Batteries - switched to rechargeable NiMH for just about everything.

No useful purpose TO YOU. Dogs that crap all over my yard have no useful purpose TO ME especially when I step in it or go over it with the lawn mower then have to clean it off.
Also there are perfumes that I am allergic to, do we ban them and just tell people to wash instead of covering there smell up with something else

cdiver2:
No useful purpose TO YOU. Dogs that crap all over my yard have no useful purpose TO ME especially when I step in it or go over it with the lawn mower then have to clean it off.
And what useful purpose does smoking serve, and should it be considered a necessity or essential service?

[bold]But the difference is that smoking serves no real useful purpose nor should it be a necessity.[/bold]

Many cultures do see smokeing as a necessity and a part of traditional heritage. Yes smoking is not needed, not required and not a necessity of life but it is a problem that can be managed with out people over reacting and being abusive.
Clear cut smoking non-smoking policies will resolve most problems, a little understanding and tolerance on both sides will resolve the rest.

And I do take measures to reduce waste in such areas. Cars - walk, bike, car pool when I can. Electricity - a necessity for living. But I try to conserve, even bought those expensive low wattage jobs that last a zillion years but use a fraction of the electricity. Plastic - try to avoid it when I can. Batteries - switched to rechargeable NiMH for just about everything.

I s'pose you have never been to a third world country where they don't have running water, electricity or cars. People can and do live like that and it's normal for many places in the world. Cars, electricity etc..etc ..only serve to make the standard of living more enjoyable.

So yes although you can feel like your eco friendly and you at least make concessions to help manage the problems but in the end you still add to the problem. Try taking the same steps twords smokers to help address concerns not judge them for right or wrong.

GeekDiver:
Many cultures do see smokeing as a necessity and a part of traditional heritage. Yes smoking is not needed, not required and not a necessity of life but it is a problem that can be managed with out people over reacting and being abusive.

Clear cut smoking non-smoking policies will resolve most problems, a little understanding and tolerance on both sides will resolve the rest.
I agree. I don't think I have over-reacted or have been abusive. If I have, please point it out to me, and with my sincerest apologies.

So yes although you can feel like your eco friendly and you at least make concessions to help manage the problems but in the end you still add to the problem. Try taking the same steps twords smokers to help address concerns not judge them for right or wrong.
Yes, but again, as you point out, there is a difference in that there is benefit to be gained. The use of electricity for example. So many useful applications and benefits. And yes, there is an environmental cost to it. On the other hand, smoking. Is the benefit worth the environmental and health costs? For me, absolutely not. For others? I don't know.

Again, I don't believe I have passed judgment on smokers. I have only voiced my objection to instances where my choice to be able to breathe in a smoke free environment has been taken away from me. Like I said before, if I am in a place where it is acceptable to smoke, I can choose to stay or leave. In areas where I have no choice, well, that is a different issue.

Warren_L:
And what useful purpose does smoking serve, and should it be considered a necessity or essential service?

The same useful purpose as a dog or perfume TO ME. But Im not trying to ban them because I have no use for them.
That is the point Im trying to make. Some perfumes cause me to sneeze, eyes water and difficulty breathing but I look at it this way, Im the one thats allergic so the problem is mine.

I have only voiced my objection to instances where my choice to be able to breathe in a smoke free environment has been taken away from me.

If you are in a posted no smokeing area or inside I would agree with you and would also voice concerns if it caused a problem. In Dons case it appears that he was on a boat that allowed smoking but was subjected to unfair treatment at the request of a non-smoker. The boat capt should have established clear rules and informed all aboard smokeing or non and should have either requested Don to move to the back of the boat or told the non-smoker to move to a non-smoking area.

I don't think you have been abusive but many are. People will object just because they don't like it even if there are no specific health risks involved. Not to long ago my Mgr informed me that an unnamed co-worker complained because of my smokeless tobacco use in my own personal office space. They were near my area and saw my sealed 20oz soda bottle that I use to spit in and thought it was yucky. There are no standards to smokeless tobacco use in my company that I'm aware of but people will try to have it's use baned and will make any BS up they can to push the issue. It the same thing smokers have to go through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom