Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't disagree with you Mike ... but I also think that Jeff was being flippant (note the smiley at the end of the post).

Clearly this is a hot-button issue on both sides ... and I think the horse is just a bloody smudge at this point in the conversation.

Funny, don't you think, that Americans are proving to be such an intolerant bunch ... when we spend so much of our national debt trying to enforce tolerance on the rest of the planet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the way i took what Jeff said was even though the owner has said its ok for me to smoke on his boat, Jeff dont care and he will do whatever it takes to stop me from smoking. that is no difference than him walking down the road and seeing me in my yard and throwing water on me to stop me from smoking.

steve

NWGratefulDiver:
Funny, don't you think, that Americans are proving to be such an intolerant bunch ...
I have certainly reassessed plans to make face-to-face contact, at least on this upcoming trip 8^(

K.

DivemasterSteve:
the way i took what Jeff said was even though the owner has said its ok for me to smoke on his boat, Jeff dont care and he will do whatever it takes to stop me from smoking. that is no difference than him walking down the road and seeing me in my yard and throwing water on me to stop me from smoking.

steve

Well ... do you normally work in your yard dressed in scuba gear? I mean, c'mon ... you're on the boat to get wet, ain't ya?

FWIW - I know Jeff ... taking him seriously was your first mistake ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well ... do you normally work in your yard dressed in scuba gear? I mean, c'mon ... you're on the boat to get wet, ain't ya?

FWIW - I know Jeff ... taking him seriously was your first mistake ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

no sir, i dont work in my yard dressed in scuba gear but i do work in my yard while i'm smoking and he didnt say he would put water on someones dive gear, he was referring to putting water on a persons lit cigarette. i wouldnt have my scuba gear on while on the boat smoking either, i would be smoking before my dive and as soon as i come back up i get out of my gear and then have a smoke.

you might know Jeff and know that he was making a joke but i dont know him as well as 99% of the people on here dont know him and all we can do is take what he says (types) as being serious. if anyone threatens me, and if i was ever on a boat with Jeff, i would take that as a threat, i have to stand up for myself and always will.

steve

NWGratefulDiver:
I don't disagree with you Mike ... but I also think that Jeff was being flippant (note the smiley at the end of the post).

It may have been a flippant comment. The reason I commented on it though is that some people really do (or at least threaten to) stuff like that.
Funny, don't you think, that Americans are proving to be such an intolerant bunch ... when we spend so much of our national debt trying to enforce tolerance on the rest of the planet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't recall making any statements concerning my thoughts on foreign policy.

Oh ... that last wasn't directed toward anyone in particular, Mike ... just a commentary on the intolerance evident in many posts representing both sides of this particular topic.

Steve ... it's not necessary to know someone who puts a smiley at the end of their comments ... that's usually an indication that the comment is intended in a less-than-serious way. I wouldn't take his suggestion to spill water on someone any more seriously than I took your suggestion that he should be shot at for doing so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Say, aren't you the same fella who told us not too long ago about the time you tossed someone's rig overboard because you decided he was too drunk to dive?

That one went by the screenname of Custer. I remember that conversation because I was in on it (Gee, I might remember something about tossing a rig overboard, LOL). We haven't heard from him in months and that is probably a good thing!

NWGratefulDiver]Funny, don't you think, that Americans are proving to be such an intolerant bunch ...

It's not at all funny Bob, but as sad as it may be, it's the truth. We've forgoten the fact that the 1st amendment applies equally to everyone, not just non-smokers, or those who disagree with the practices of another. In the days following 9-11 there was no place, no car in America that did not display an American Flag; unity was in the air and not even road rage was an issue. What has happened to us? Do we need another tragedy to remind us we're all equal? Not to get political about it, but I believe him who said what I display in my signature line said it best.

Rick

diverbrian:
That one went by the screenname of Custer. I remember that conversation because I was in on it (Gee, I might remember something about tossing a rig overboard, LOL). We haven't heard from him in months and that is probably a good thing!

Ah ... OK. Somebody else thought it was Popeye. Either way, no worries. I read enough posts on this board to get confused sometimes.

I stand corrected.

Do ya really think I'm being unfriendly by asking? I guess the concept of tossing someone overboard just sparked an association ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom