Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don as long as you're doing all you can to stay out of the nonsmokers "hair" I think you done ALMOST as much as you can. BUT if thats not enough, that is your smoke is still blowing around the boat and people are bothered by it, REGARDLESS of where you're standing do you think you still should be able to smoke? As I've stated smoke all you want but not where I can smell it. I think I have far more of a right to breathe air without smoke than you do to smoke, simple as that.

*slaps my own forehead* You're right! I forgot. *hangs head in shame*

I was just saying to myself today "Self, you forgot to list aligator wrassling in the interest section of your profile". ;-)

DiveKitty68:
:wink: hey GQ, you forgot to list alligator wrasslin' in the interest section of your profile.

Don,

I confess, I replied like I did because I felt like I got poked with a stick! But, from some of their replies, I am sooooo pleased I've irked them right back.

DandyDon:
I do not see how any reasonable person could fault that? Some of his other comments may have been a bit much, but dang - if you poke someone with a stick, they may react.

You're very welcome!

Wanna have a smoke with me?

cyklon_300:
I need to lip off to my elected representatives again...urge them to eliminate or reduce federal subsidies to tobacco farmers, continue to raise taxes on tobacco products at every opportunity, and consider more stringent restrictions on where smoking is permitted.

Thanks for the reminder.

I especially liked the "offering cash incentives" and I absolutely accept bribes! Who am I to argue with someone throwing money at me?

Michael Schlink:
As I said I'll be polite first and as some have said they respect that and do what's needed to not bother anyone with their smoking. But I think it's obvious that there is a majority that don't want to be near a smoker And as I said smoke all you want as long as I don't have to smell it Also why do smokers think they have a right to smoke, especially when entire states are taking measures against it. My point is simply that MOST of us going out on dive boats, and I think that's pretty obvious, don't want to be around it at all. There are countless reasons not to smoke, ESPECIALLY, in regards to diving, and "second hand" smoke can have adverse affects on many of us. Here's something that I think is ironic, why does a smoker use deoderant?? i just recently came back from a liveaboard in Indo. the boat had a few spaces left and asked us if they could fill them. We told them no probelm, but absolutely no smoking, period, anywhere, at all. They completely understood. As far as getting violent heck no and wouldn't think of it but if you didn't accomadate my request I would take additonal steps, T/W captain, organize a keel hauling, bucket of water, entice you with cash incentives, offer you beer for cigarettes whatever it takes BUT as I said this only applies if I smell it. I'll go to the bow of the boat but I can't get any farther than that after that you're going to have to make the effort. Our experience with smokers is that few of them either care or realize how much their smoking effects the people around them. If they did would they do the things they do. Pull up to a traffic light and look at the ground, or the ground around the entry ways to malls, restaurants, airports, etc. How many smokers have butts in there cars ashtrays. They don't want to stink up their car so the toss the butt out the window, if smokers are so considerate then why do these conditions exist??

Well. I'll tell you guys one time. If there are anymore of these insults I'm pulling the thread. I'm not sending a PM to anyone. I'm just pulling it.

Michael,

Not all smokers toss the butts out the window. I do in fact use my ashtray, and when full, I even empty it in my trash can. Do I see cigarette butts on the ground nearly everywhere I go? Yup, sure do, but I don't call those people "smokers:, rather, I call them SLOBS. Of course, I see candy wrappers, misc papers, soda cans and bottles, bottle caps, other obscure rubbish as well, dumped just about anywhere and everywhere in public. It's a safe bet not all those items were dropped by smokers.

Ok, can we semi-politely rib eachother in fun? *wink*

Natasha:
Well. I'll tell you guys one time. If there is anymore of these insults I'm pulling the thread. I'm not sending a PM to anyone. I'm just pulling it.

GQ I think we've been cyber spanked. Hey as long as we can argue and remain friends I'm in. And yes I'll throw money at a problem, seems to get things going in my direction easier than just about anything else. And as I've said I'll buy you all the beers in the bar and not complain about smokers. Just leave me fresh air on the boat. I'm going to watch "O brother where art thou" everyone have a pleasant evening.-M

How much of the space on a boat is "yours"?

An example:
A 48' boat with a 16' beam has a flying bridge with that is 12' by 12' beam. Assuming a rectangular (think pontoon boat) shape. This boat has 912 sq ft (768 + 144 on the bridge). With 24 people on board that makes 38 sq ft per person. That is a circle with a radius of about 3 and a half feet.

Your dive boat may have more or less personal space per person based upon boat size and passenger load.

Think a bit about how much space is reasonable. Is 3 and a half feet reasonable? That's about the distance seperating a clerk and a customer across a counter or a bit more than the width of a door.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom