• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by DandyDon, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Michael Schlink

Michael Schlink Instructor, Scuba

Don as long as you're doing all you can to stay out of the nonsmokers "hair" I think you done ALMOST as much as you can. BUT if thats not enough, that is your smoke is still blowing around the boat and people are bothered by it, REGARDLESS of where you're standing do you think you still should be able to smoke? As I've stated smoke all you want but not where I can smell it. I think I have far more of a right to breathe air without smoke than you do to smoke, simple as that.

2. GQMedic

GQMedic NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    *slaps my own forehead* You're right! I forgot. *hangs head in shame*

I was just saying to myself today "Self, you forgot to list aligator wrassling in the interest section of your profile". ;-)

3. GQMedic

GQMedic NAUI Instructor

Don,

I confess, I replied like I did because I felt like I got poked with a stick! But, from some of their replies, I am sooooo pleased I've irked them right back.

4. GQMedic

GQMedic NAUI Instructor

You're very welcome!

Wanna have a smoke with me?

5. GQMedic

GQMedic NAUI Instructor

I especially liked the "offering cash incentives" and I absolutely accept bribes! Who am I to argue with someone throwing money at me?

6. Natasha

Natasha Dive Travel Professional

Well. I'll tell you guys one time. If there are anymore of these insults I'm pulling the thread. I'm not sending a PM to anyone. I'm just pulling it.

7. GQMedic

GQMedic NAUI Instructor

Michael,

Not all smokers toss the butts out the window. I do in fact use my ashtray, and when full, I even empty it in my trash can. Do I see cigarette butts on the ground nearly everywhere I go? Yup, sure do, but I don't call those people "smokers:, rather, I call them SLOBS. Of course, I see candy wrappers, misc papers, soda cans and bottles, bottle caps, other obscure rubbish as well, dumped just about anywhere and everywhere in public. It's a safe bet not all those items were dropped by smokers.

8. GQMedic

GQMedic NAUI Instructor

Ok, can we semi-politely rib eachother in fun? *wink*

9. Michael Schlink

Michael Schlink Instructor, Scuba

GQ I think we've been cyber spanked. Hey as long as we can argue and remain friends I'm in. And yes I'll throw money at a problem, seems to get things going in my direction easier than just about anything else. And as I've said I'll buy you all the beers in the bar and not complain about smokers. Just leave me fresh air on the boat. I'm going to watch "O brother where art thou" everyone have a pleasant evening.-M

10. Drew Sailbum

Drew Sailbum Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    How much of the space on a boat is "yours"?

An example:
    A 48' boat with a 16' beam has a flying bridge with that is 12' by 12' beam. Assuming a rectangular (think pontoon boat) shape. This boat has 912 sq ft (768 + 144 on the bridge). With 24 people on board that makes 38 sq ft per person. That is a circle with a radius of about 3 and a half feet.

Your dive boat may have more or less personal space per person based upon boat size and passenger load.

Think a bit about how much space is reasonable. Is 3 and a half feet reasonable? That's about the distance seperating a clerk and a customer across a counter or a bit more than the width of a door.