sms 100 sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey tbone, what makes the 75 better than the 100? I want a rig that can be quickly and easily changed from twin BM to single BM to SM. Which is the best one for that?
Cheers, Mike

if you want that, then the Dive Rite XT is better than the SMS's if you need one rig to do it all, though I would suggest against that.

The SMS75 has a lot of stuff done to it that makes it workable for sidemount. I.e. all of the "edd mods" that you can read about on the SMS100 have been done from the factory.

Thanks mate, I'll check out the XT :thumb:

Ok can I just see if I'm getting this right?
So the transpac is the basic set up for singles then I add accessories for twins and SM?
Or the nomad is the transpac with accessories already added for SM?
So confusing for a total noob lol

Cheers

So this for single and twin BM? Dive Rite Rec Package

Plus these for SM? Nomad Buttplates
Dive Rite Ring Bungee

Last edited:
if you're going to buy it, just buy the Nomad XT. It's a transpac, with a nomad wing, and buttplate. The wing is more than capable of diving with twins and is restrained enough for singles

You need cam bands to dive with single tanks and that may or may not come with the nomad depending on who you buy it from, and you need stabilizer plates to dive with doubles.
TransPac Stabilizer Plates | Dive Rite

I would recommend getting both the plates and the cam bands when you purchase the rig up front so you have them.

Ok I'll see what package deal he can do for the nomad with all the other bits and pieces I need (cam bands, stab plates and weight pockets).
Thanks for all your help!

Sorry, another question. The nomad wing, with more lift at the hips, won't have too much head down trim when diving BM will it? I'll be doing a lot more BM diving than SM, at least for a while.

Cheers

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on what trim is like diving BM with the Nomad wing? And if it's hard to stay upright on the surface?

TIA, Mike

Last edited:
@Mike1967 the nomad works fine in backmount singles floats you just fine at the surface. In doubles, you have to have your sh!t together to stay trim because it wants to tip you head down. It's not the right rig for that. Frankly if you're staying in backmount, commit to a standard bp/w now, and when you're ready for sidemount, make the switch then.

The nomad works fine if you are primarily a steel sidemount diver that occasionally needs to throw a tank or two on your back, or even if you are regularly going between steel sidemount and a single tank in backmount, but if you regularly dive doubles you'll be cursing it

Hi guys,

I can pick up a 2 year old/15 dives SMS100 for AU$600 (approx US$440). It's like new so seems like a great deal to me, but I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Cheers, Mike

Hi guys,

I can pick up a 2 year old/15 dives SMS100 for AU$600 (approx US$440). It's like new so seems like a great deal to me, but I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Cheers, Mike

I highly recommend something else. In the US people are struggling to sell them for $250.

Hi guys,

Cheers, Mike

Last year I got a new (never in the water) SMS75 for USD $425 shipped. New is $699.

The SMS75 fixes all the issues with the SMS100. Like better bungees to begin with. Look for a 75 not the 100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom