Snacking Between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what would provide "fuel" for a sensitive stomach, but whatever you eat before the 1st dive that allows you to be fresh and strong should be good for the 2nd dive also, wouldn't it?

I don't have a sensitive stomach, for me is more of a sensitive taste, not just when diving, in general I don't go for anything hot, my meals tend to have less than 2or 3 modifiers (no peppers of any kind or heavy spices).
The leftover salmon from dinner that only had garlic and rosemary can be eaten underway to the dive site, if we do breakfast from scratch, then whatever leftover pieces of bacon come on board too.
Scrambled eggs with clams is not an aggressive meal until someone drowns it on hot sauce. Most of the times people have issues with the modifiers of the dish they eat, not the main ingredient itself.

Pizza with good ingredients doesn't have to produce heart burn, not eating it fresh out of the oven or cold from the fridge the next morning... mmmm so good, pizza AND diving? that's a perfect day!
But if said pizza is loaded with cheap pepperoni, oh well not so perfect for me.

Also for the record berries are supposed to be great for people with tendencies of heartburn.

(Didn't read all 5 pages - sorry)

I find that if I eat too much, or the 'wrong' thing between dives I will get heartburn on the second dive. I guess it's the added pressure on my system and I already have stomach issues. A boat I was on had ginger chews - not the ones that are individually wrapped - they were a big bag they'd gotten at Costco. They were great for settling my stomach. Probably the easiest on my stomach is those little packages of crackers with cheese and some water. NO chocolate. As much as I love it, it will absolutely make my heartburn flare up during a dive. I save the chocolate for after the second dive.
I've never seen chocolate on dive boats. Quite unfortunately :)

I've never seen chocolate on dive boats. Quite unfortunately :)

Patrice, on the Pacific Rim dive boat in Kona, makes THE BEST brownies EVER! I have to wait until after the second dive or pay for it. But yummmm. She's also the one who had the ginger chews. :wink:

Patrice, on the Pacific Rim dive boat in Kona, makes THE BEST brownies EVER! I have to wait until after the second dive or pay for it. But yummmm. She's also the one who had the ginger chews. :wink:
If brownies count as chocolate, then my Cliff bars will count too :) Probably, the reason is simple: chocolate melts and you'll have to keep it on ice.

Can’t eat bananas, guess I ate too much paste as a child? I do bring a bottle filled with coconut water and a splash of cranberry, or POM. It’s a great source of potassium and is quick help for hydration and cramps. I love fresh citrus, and a sandwich split between dives especially if doing 3 dives.

On the discussion of chocolate, Mrs Flush is in the medical field and says there is some research that says chocolate is good for you between dives. I will try to remember to ask her about it and share a link.

A friend saw another diver on his boat pull a sausage out of a thermos, and proceed to use the hot water in it to make tea. He thought it was the most brilliant thing

On the discussion of chocolate, Mrs Flush is in the medical field and says there is some research that says chocolate is good for you between dives. I will try to remember to ask her about it and share a link.

Dive Health: Eat Chocolate Before Diving — Really • Scuba Diver Life
and
8 Scientific Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate | Everyday Health

A friend saw another diver on his boat pull a sausage out of a thermos, and proceed to use the hot water in it to make tea. He thought it was the most brilliant thing

When I used to do a lot of camping back in Scotland I would boil an egg and use the water to make my coffee. Not so sure about the sausage taste with tea, but hey it's all going down the same route.

My mom always drilled into me to never swim for 1 hour after I eat so I don't eat anything when I'm diving. (that's a joke)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom