SnapSights! Pixtreme PX2 Silver 3.1 MP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving, just starting module 4 of my PADI OW course today. A few weeks ago, I purchased a Pixtreme PX2 3.1 mp digital camera. I am not new to digital cameras, on land I use a fuji s3 pro ( however due to it's cost and not being able to find a housing for it, it's land only ). Oh, and I also work in a pro digital/film lab so that helps :wink: But doesn't give any justice for underwater photography.

Anyways, the first night I had the Px2 camera / housing I took it to my scuba class and took a few pictures. When I say a few, really a few... it eat's batteries like mad. I used the flash on some of the pictures, and on others I did not. Now have you the pool we use is indoors, with flourescent lighting. The pictures were horrible, the one's where I used the flash were of course visable but the flash reflecting off of water didn't make the photos too appealing. Not to mention, the color was horrible.

So I contacted SnapSights via email asking them for any suggestions. Of course they suggested more equiptment. So I purchased their lens kit and also a external slave flash / housing for the camera. I have yet to try these out, hopefully I will get some good pictures out of it tonight.

Have any of you ever used one of these cameras? Do you have any suggestions for optimal pictures?

Does anyone know where I can find a housing for my Fuji S3 Pro?

PS, my avatar is an example of the camera w/ just the onboard flash no filters.

Brandon

Hi Brandon.

1. Use NiMH rechargeable batteries. Alkaline cells are worthless.

2. If the camera lets you, it helps to manually set the white balance. I'm amazed by how many people continue to produce blue photos.

3. Even a larger strobe can only illuminate subjects within 3-4 feet. Rule number one in UW photography is to get close. Using a strobe for standard/wide angle photos, you should ideally be less than 18" away.

Aquatica used to make a housing for the S2 Pro. One just sold on eBay for $600. I'm not sure about the S3 pro.

Get used to using PhotoShop for correcting your images -- especially if your camera does not have manual white balance (mine doesn't).

Just by opening your avatar image in PhotoShop, selecting the "Variations" setting, and playing around with it for about 10 seconds, here's what I came up with:

Brandon_Belew.jpg

I just ordered a Pixtreme camera through Tanga.com for about $65. At that price, even if it eats batteries and takes poor pictures it should be fine for my 12 year-old to mess about with until he gets used to handling the camera and housing. I'd rather he flood that than a "real" camera in a housing. On the other hand, I don't expect it to meet his needs for terribly long - perhaps even just our upcoming week in Cozumel. I expect eventually that he'll demand something with more picture quality, battery life, etc.

I had one of these when they first came out. I never took it diving. The digital noise in low light was unbearable and the flash really didn't clean things up a whole lot. I returned mine two days after buying it. For under $400 you can buy and SP350 with housing on Ebay from a Olympus reseller. I'd go that route.

Later,
Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom