Sneak Peak - New Suunto Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Chris,

Is the new Suunto FusedTM RGBM less conservative than the previous RGBM algorithms have been even at the P-1 setting?
I am looking at purchasing a new DC in the next few months. But have been warned by friends not to get Suuntos because of their conservative algorithms.

Triode12,
The conservatism of the Suunto computers has been blown out of all proportion on the internet. They are more conservative on deco stops and a little more conservative than SOME dive watches but almost unnoticeable for NDL (without any personal adjustment). I almost didn't buy a suunto due to the supposed conservatism but glad I ignored it and bought a D6i. It's fantastic. My wife owns the Scubapro Meridian (worried about the conservatism of Suunto). For general rec diving, it has very similar NDL but is very twitchy when you start to ascend and is usually the first computer I hear beeping at us to slow down or take longer stops.

Unless you start deco stops, tec diving etc, the Suuntos are great. I have no experience with the former so I can't advise you on later on.

The only other computer I've liked to the level of the D6i is the Petrel and it'll take something special from Suunto to displace that in the more advanced level of computers.

I wear my Suunto D4i as a back-up to my Petrel. Not very compatible algorithms, but I avoid being a slave to two masters. I have it on more as a 'just in case". I have the Petrel set for VPM-B+2 and have noticed it'll put me into deco faster than the Suunto (RGBM). Having said that, I've been told you really start to feel the conservatism of the Suunto if you're doing 2 or more dives. The following dives, you're bottom times will take a hit, where the Petrel will average your time out so you're not getting punished.

I want to say the Suunto also hates reverse profiles.

I haven't gotten a comfortable grasp of the gradient factor mode yet.

Here is a pretty good explanation.

Thanks. I read most of that before... It's a little confusing still. I think I need a version akin to School House Rock or Elmo, with lots of animations and simplified terminology. I'm gradually wrapping my head around the concept.

Back
Top Bottom