Snips, shears or a Ztype knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The A-194's look to be able to do the job. Personally, I have a pair of Sea Snips mounted on the shoulder strap of my BC, a blunt end knife on the inside left calf and the very odd time, a skeleton handled knife on the inside of the right forearm. Do the shears come with a sheath?

Have you considered a Spyderco type knife on a short lanyard, clipped to your BC? Spyderco has one that has plastic bolsters, a hole in the end for a lanyard and a serrated sheeps foot blade. Excellent cutting tool. Can also be clipped to your pocket on land.

I have a small knife on one BCD strap, and a pair of sea snips on the other.

Ari,
The OMS shears (A194) look like a very useful tool but I don't really see a need for shears that heavy on most rec dives.
On a working dive I don't take things with me unless I need them and if I need something that big for cutting I am likely to go back up and get a BIG cutting tool and clear the stuff out fast.

DivingGal,
I like to have my cutting tools high and low on my body so that I am more likely to be able to reach one even in a weird entanglement.
Sometimes I need to cut something but I have to hold on to something else with one hand which limits what and where I can reach, again usually not a problem in rec diving.

michael

Back
Top Bottom