snorkel fins outperforming dive fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the size of the fin has alot to do with it also the smaller fin has less resistance so you can paddle faster and gain more thrust the larger fin is going to require a lot more power to push ,if you had someone with tremendous leg strength im sure he could push the larger fins faster

If you cut and paste those fin photos on top of each other, the surface area of the paddle is darn close to identical. The new fin bends at the articulation point, so not as much water is moved when you kick. Since you've got both fins try setting one on top of the other, but line them up from the point where the fin tips go all the way across. The new fin is only barely larger... but they articulate. That means the new fin isn't going to start pushing much water until it's articulated as far as it can go.

upload_2017-5-15_15-34-28.png

A few comments based on the replies so far:
  • my "air consumption" swimming laps with no gear is certainly lower with the snorkel bob's, at any speed.
  • I would say the cetatek fins have the harder kick. They are definitely much more work to move through the water per one kick cycle. Certainly increased drag accounts for some of this, not sure how much.
  • I'm well aware that full foot fins outperform open heel but wasn't sure how much of the entire performance difference was due to this. I've read Jim Grier's fin test study ( Fins -- Main Page ) and the best full foot fin vs the worst open heel fin tested didn't have a performance gap this large. Before testing I had expected the expensive, fancy, dive fins to outperform or be much closer, even with the open heel handicap. Clearly I was wrong!
  • I'm not sure what to think of arcticat99's leg strength theory. I'm not a huge guy (5'8" male in good shape) so my leg strength is probably not "tremendous". That being said I can't even for a spit second reach the same instantaneous velocity with the dive fins. If it was a matter of leg power shouldn't I be able to, for a very short time before I tire out, go faster with the more powerful dive fins? With the snorkel bob's once I get in the water I can barely even kick and I'm going as fast if not faster than I am with the dive fins flat out. The dive fins are certainly flexing when I kick them for what it's worth.
  • kelemvor does appear to be correct about the blade sizing: uploading a couple new pics.
    20170515_143945.jpg
    20170515_144015.jpg

Scuba diving with all equipment is very different than swimming in a pool in a bathing suit for speed. The latter is much more dependent on the overall rate of both kicking and stroking. It is easy to imagine that a smaller, less powerful fin would be best for swimming. A good example would be to look at the most popular swimming training fins. On the other hand, scuba requires a fin that can be used at a lower rate that is both powerful and can be used for a number of alternative kicks. It does not surprise me that good scuba fins are different than swimming fins. I can't imagine swimming laps in my Dive Rite XTs, but they sure do kick butt scuba diving.

Probably a combination of many things.

drag

energy transfer of tight fit foot direct to fin vs. boot + slop of open heel footpocket

fin/blade design kick intention: flutter, frog, combination compromise

fin stiffness and bend profile matches you

Do a dive with your snorkel fins. If you like them and prefer to flutter kick, you might want to invest in a full foot scuba fin or even a long freedive fin.

Last edited:
Scuba diving with all equipment is very different than swimming in a pool in a bathing suit for speed. The latter is much more dependent on the overall rate of both kicking and stroking. It is easy to imagine that a smaller, less powerful fin would be best for swimming. A good example would be to look at the most popular swimming training fins. On the other hand, scuba requires a fin that can be used at a lower rate that is both powerful and can be used for a number of alternative kicks. It does not surprise me that good scuba fins are different than swimming fins. I can't imagine swimming laps in my Dive Rite XTs, but they sure do kick butt scuba diving.

As an example:
upload_2017-5-15_16-50-23.png

In my experience propulsion on the surface (i.e. lap swimming & snorkeling) is different from propulsion while submerged. I don't care for my scuba fins for snorkeling. They are heavier, longer (more cumbersome), and less buoyant (they are neutral to slightly negative for scuba) than smaller, lighter snorkel fins. They make me feel like I have to work to keep my feet up and are counter to the idea of laying out and floating while looking below. For the most part the idea of snorkeling/lap swimming is to stay at the surface more or less effortlessly with a good portion of your propulsion happening at or near the surface. If you like snorkel fins for scuba, great, but I prefer my longer, heavier fins for submerged propulsion with effortless kick & glide strokes, max propulsion on both up & down flutter kicks, and better trim. To me it's using the right tool for the job. All IMHO, YMMV. :)

Last edited:
In my experience propulsion on the surface (i.e. lap swimming & snorkeling) is different from propulsion while submerged. I don't care for my scuba fins for snorkeling.

I'm OK with snorkeling in my accels, but the only way I'd use open-heel fins in a lap pool is for a water test. I did dive in the pool in my gold zoomers (leftmost on Craig's photo) once, too.

I think since this is scuba board, the OP should take both fins somelace where they'd matter, like in current, and then post the results. I assume "45 seconds there and back" is for 25 yard or meter pool?

I'm OK with snorkeling in my accels, but the only way I'd use open-heel fins in a lap pool is for a water test. I did dive in the pool in my gold zoomers (leftmost on Craig's photo) once, too.

I think since this is scuba board, the OP should take both fins somelace where they'd matter, like in current, and then post the results. I assume "45 seconds there and back" is for 25 yard or meter pool?
That's pretty slow, 30 seconds or less might be respectable for 50 yds, especially with fins!

I'm OK with snorkeling in my accels...

I never thought of accels as snorkel fins. I haven't dived them, but I've heard they are a nice, lightweight (baggage-wise) travel fin. Might be a good reason to try a pair as I do enjoy snorkeling from time to time while on warm water dive trips. :)

Back
Top Bottom