snorkel fins outperforming dive fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main reason I have open heel fins is shore diving. Walking in with booties (especially on Bonaire, but everywhere really) = good.

I'm fast enough with my Accels for he diving I tend to do. Sort of waiting for Revan to show up and start promoting monofins at this point... ;-)

I never thought of accels as snorkel fins. I haven't dived them, but I've heard they are a nice, lightweight (baggage-wise) travel fin. Might be a good reason to try a pair as I do enjoy snorkeling from time to time while on warm water dive trips. :)

They're fairly light and responsive, but certainly stiffer than the rubber ones being discussed. So you get more of a "slap" on the surface, that doesn't help but it's not as bad on some "diving" fins with angled blades. They do have a bit of an angle, but not much.

There are 4 big categories of full foot fins:

- swimming
- snorkeling
- scuba
- freediving

The line between snorkeling and scuba can be a little blurry. Usually a difference in size and/or stiffness. Plenty of warm water boat divers prefer full foot scuba or freedive fins. If this type of diving describes you and you prefer to flutter, a good full foot fin offers many benefits over an open heel.

Gearheads of course have multiple fins so they can use the best tool for the job at hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom