Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once we surfaced there was a delay while we waited for the boat to pick up a group who surfaced in a different spot. I had not snorkel but wished I did. My buddies spent the wait time looking at interesting things near the surface. I looked down, looked up took a few breaths and kept feeling cold. ....

How come you had no gas left?

Good question. Does remind me of the few situations I did use a snorkel shore diving. Most of my diving is very shallow shore dives--30' or less. Meaning I can fairly easily do two 40 minute or so dives on one tank (I like to take a break in between, and depending on time of year, this gives me a chance to warm up if needed). So, I may snorkel back in to save gas for the second dive. Not your normal diving for most, but a good example of snorkel use--even in calm water. I may use it face down if viz is good, or even on my back, though you have to tilt head to keep snorkel top out of water.

I had a couple hundred PSI left after the safety stop and I was saving it just in case. I wasn't at 0 psi and didn't plan to be.

Landau

One "argument" I'm still unsure of is using a snorkel as an aid if in really nasty chop and having to be on the surface awaiting boarding a boat or having to do a surface swim back to shore.
What - AFAICSee - hasn't been mentioned is that a snorkel can be a very nice thing to have if you have to jump in to assist another diver on the surface. In a scenario like that, grabbing fins, mask and snorkel takes a lot less time than using a tank

What - AFAICSee - hasn't been mentioned is that a snorkel can be a very nice thing to have if you have to jump in to assist another diver on the surface. In a scenario like that, grabbing fins, mask and snorkel takes a lot less time than using a tank

Agreed. A sound reason to keep one in your kit bag on the boat. That's the best place for it on the dive too. :)

Disagree. Agree with Landau and his explanation. A snorkel on a boat (or in a kit bag) is good for a working DM or maybe even a Rescue Diver who may need to spring into action. I hate snorkels. I thought I "concluded" this recurring thread forever. Well, hey, not much on TV tonight.

People have opinion about the use of, and seeing the need for, a snorkel (or other pieces of kit for that matter) usually based on the limited scope of diving they do.

For example; I don't generally use a snorkel with modern gear but find it handy while diving vintage stuff. In the latter case, being neutrally weighted without a power inflate bcd it's very handy for hanging around or swimming face forward on the surface. I have a boltsnap attached to it and clip it off tucked away while not in use as I don't like one flapping around my head. With modern gear I use a long hose (so it would interfere) and have a drysuit and bcd to keep my face out of the water on the surface.

Does that make the snorkel useful or not? Depends...

People have opinion about the use of, and seeing the need for, a snorkel (or other pieces of kit for that matter) usually based on the limited scope of diving they do.

For example; I don't generally use a snorkel with modern gear but find it handy while diving vintage stuff. In the latter case, being neutrally weighted without a power inflate bcd it's very handy for hanging around or swimming face forward on the surface. I have a boltsnap attached to it and clip it off tucked away while not in use as I don't like one flapping around my head. With modern gear I use a long hose (so it would interfere) and have a drysuit and bcd to keep my face out of the water on the surface.

Does that make the snorkel useful or not? Depends...
Agree.
Like "rule no.1 or 2" in the Rescue Course? "Have mask/fins/snorkel ready to go at all times". Something like that.

If its a calm dive on a lake you can elect to leave your snorkel on shore, but I personally prefer to have mine with me at all times. It was very useful during spring break. We had just finished our second dive and my dive buddy had a few issues which resulted in us skipping a safety stop. The sea was pretty rough, about 4 foot waves and I used my snorkel because I was around my reserve pressure. His SPG was not reading well and he didn't know how much air he had. He didn't have a snorkel, so for him he was constantly swallowing some water. He had never needed a snorkel before and didn't even bring his to the dive site. He changed his mind very quickly. I would keep it with you at all times, you never know when you're going to need it, and you can get a collapsible one for your BCD pocket if you want

Back
Top Bottom