snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're getting swamped swimming on your back and aren't overweighted a 7" plastic tube isnt going to help.

I am not sure why you use the snorkel swimming on you back. Isn't the snorkel used when swimming with face down in the water?

Ive seen the cause incidents at and below the surface. We've banned the wearing of them from anyone using our club boats for safety reasons. If someone really wants one it must be stowed in a pocket.

What incidents and what type of diving environment are you talking about? I'd think that this is a drastic action for O/W recreational diving, isn't it?

I am not sure why you use the snorkel swimming on you back. Isn't the snorkel used when swimming with face down in the water?

When I swim with it face down I may see the interesting bottom, but I have to raise my head to check where I'm headed. On my back I just either can look to the side or twist a little to see forward--my head is already out of the water. Small point, just a personal preference--I find on my back a little easier.

TMHeimer,

I think that you misunderstood me, I am not questioning swimming on one's back, I am only questioning why would anyone use a snorkel when swimming on their back.

I usually alternate swimming on the back with swimming face down (using snorkel) for long surface swims.

Read back in the thread...

Jim mentioned using one in Post 17.

Jim mentions rolling it up and storing it,

"I always have one. it is usually rolled up in my pocket. Just got a new one from Edge/HOG through Dive Right In Scuba. Rolls up really small and unrolls easily. Best one I;ve seen so far. it replacing my oceanic folding one"

He's not so clear about deploying it and using during a dive. Jim? Any insight?

I guess cloudflint is lying when he stated he was glad he had his snorkel.

Or poorly trained in theory and/or practical skills. People can be brainwashed easily into thinking they need something.

Swim on your back with your BC nicely filled and you'll float with a head higher than any stupid little bit of plastic can manage.

What incidents and what type of diving environment are you talking about? I'd think that this is a drastic action for O/W recreational diving, isn't it?

Ive seen a mask ripped off someones head at 40m when he turned around too quickly and snagged it on a shot line causing a very near rapid ascent (his buddy had to chase and grab). Ive seen snorkels snagged in help and when tried to pull free snapped the mask strap meaning the mask was lost. Ive seen them cause masks to leak both in and out of a current. I've seen people descent on them, ive seen people raise them to dump air from them thinking its an LPI and much more.
These are standard incidents on normal recreational diving.

A snorkel can cause safety issues and has no benefits at all so why take it?

My son just finished his OWD course and one day his instructor chewed him out for forgetting his snorkel. I know I shouldn't have, but I said "Why the fuss, we both know that his open water checkout is the last dive where he is ever going to wear one?" Knowing that his tip depended upon his reply he wisely settled for just glaring at me.

Dumbest PADI standard ever, and nothing will change my mind on that.

I never snorkel face down when I have tanks on. I use it when I am on my back heading out on a beach dive. If there is a chop it raises my air intake and makes the swim out more comfortable. If it causes you problems, don't use it.

I never snorkel face down when I have tanks on. I use it when I am on my back heading out on a beach dive. If there is a chop it raises my air intake and makes the swim out more comfortable. If it causes you problems, don't use it.

BurhanMuntasser, Above is exactly why I use the snorkel on my back.

String, I hear what you say about a lot of BC air will hold your head up and out of chop as well as a snorkel. Not sure I agree. There has been a SB discussion about what affects drag more, stuff above or under water.

Either way, it's whatever you feel comfortable with. I doubt there is a whole lot of difference really.

Last edited:
If you're getting swamped swimming on your back and aren't overweighted a 7" plastic tube isnt going to help.

My buddy was swimming on their front with their reg in. When they ran out of air they orally inflated their BC and swam on their back. This kept their head above the waves and stopped them getting swamped. Ive found in my suit swimming on my back I have to rotate my entire body as I cant turn my neck far enough, as such I find it easier to switch to my snorkel so I can look ahead.

Ive seen people snag their snorkel on kelp dislodging their mask and ive seen people flying to the surface furiously trying to find the deflate button on their bendy snorkel. I don't think there is any harm however in carrying a snorkel in a pocket if you don't want to wear it on your mask. You may never have to use it but if you ever do you'll be glad to have it. But ultimately its not the sort of thing that you are going to need in an emergency very often so if someone dosent want to carry one that's fine with me I promise not to insist you wear one if you promise not to insist that I not wear one :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom