“Snorkel” with spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokaz82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone “snorkeled” with spare air? Pros? Cons?

Also, does anyone dive with just a small pony bottle?

I want something that I can do at the beach without having to have my equipment.

Spare Air is still compressed air, and all of the same precautions that are learned in diving still apply. I don't see any indication of whether or not you are trained/certified on scuba.
And before you say anything about it being used in shallow water, it is possible to suffer lung expansion injury by surfacing from just 4 feet while holding a breath of compressed air.
Also, it may be uncomfortable/unwieldy to hold that cylinder in your mouth for any extended length of time.

But along the lines of diving with just a pony, Spare Air does now have a complete system that may pique your interest.
EasyDive - Dive More - Dive Faster. The ease of Snorkeling with the versatility of Diving

Probably the most unique feature is that their is one switchable mouthpiece attached to both snorkel and to regulator.

Are you a certified SCUBA diver?

If not its a bad idea to breathe compressed air at depth then safely ascend without exhaling. Gooole Air Embolism for what could happen.

A Spare Air is in fact a mini-scuba system. A pony is a normal SCUBA system with a smaller tank, simplified gauges etc.

Contrary to what you saw on Baywatch...

If you want a beach toy, besides the one linked above several companies make affordable sNuba systems - air is fed from a compressor floating on the surface to you at depths of up to about 30? feet.

Notice that disclaimer at the bottom of the EasyDive page?
EasyDive is recommended for underwater use by certified SCUBA divers only.

I've typically got my 19cf pony bottle with me on dive vacations. I've had occasion to use it on a surface interval where we were hanging out at a snorkeling site.

Here's a pic of me using my pony bottle on a shallow reef several years back. Lasted about 20 minutes at a depth of 20-30'

Attachments

• 2010_06_curacao_36.JPG
    2010_06_curacao_36.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 348
Yes I am certified. And JackD342 I think it says right above this post I have dove before. However I haven’t been on this site in a few years. I understand basic principles and safety still apply. More or less just wanted to hear about experiences with trying these out.

However it did look fun on Baywatch.

Spare Air is still compressed air, and all of the same precautions that are learned in diving still apply. I don't see any indication of whether or not you are trained/certified on scuba.
And before you say anything about it being used in shallow water, it is possible to suffer lung expansion injury by surfacing from just 4 feet while holding a breath of compressed air.
Also, it may be uncomfortable/unwieldy to hold that cylinder in your mouth for any extended length of time.

But along the lines of diving with just a pony, Spare Air does now have a complete system that may pique your interest.
EasyDive - Dive More - Dive Faster. The ease of Snorkeling with the versatility of Diving

Probably the most unique feature is that their is one switchable mouthpiece attached to both snorkel and to regulator.

Are you a certified SCUBA diver?

If not its a bad idea to breathe compressed air at depth then safely ascend without exhaling. Gooole Air Embolism for what could happen.

A Spare Air is in fact a mini-scuba system.

Contrary to what you saw on Baywatch...

If you want a beach toy, besides the one linked above several companies make affordable sNuba systems - air is fed from a compressor floating on the surface to you at depths of up to about 30? feet.

Notice that disclaimer at the bottom of the EasyDive page?
EasyDive is recommended for underwater use by certified SCUBA divers only.
He shows 25-49 dives.

No problem using SpareAir, but it is only good for a few minutes. A pony is better. you also need a way to carry it (google "monkey diving") and probably some weights. At some point you may as well just have your equipment.

Since you are certified one option could be a small slung pony - a 19-30 cu ft pony system can be pretty compact - size it right and you won't need a BC. There's even two companies making an integrated 1st stage/tank valve so all you have to add is a tiny button gauge.. They include a fill adpater so you can fill it from a standard tank

I don't remember who makes the other (maybe DiveRite?), but here's Zeagle's Envoy RaZor

A pony is better. you also need a way to carry it (google "monkey diving") and probably some weights.
I know someone who dives a 19cu ft pony in a sling while doing maintenance on his boat. In warm water in shorts. He might have a soft weight pouch clipped to it also.

I think the pony has my votes now. Here is a 13cf on a belt attached. Anyone with a pony, does it have a pressure gauge?

Attachments

• 9707FE23-EC15-403C-8C96-93E9FEE408CD.png
    9707FE23-EC15-403C-8C96-93E9FEE408CD.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 331

Back
Top Bottom