Snorkeler Killed by Sharks in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry a dive knife with me. Worst case without a weapon we're like sitting ducks.... yummy meal!

Anyone think a human can fend off a shark attack with a dive knife? I doubt but
Maybe with a spear? Right?

Putting on my Ph.D. in Animal Behavior hat...foraging by sharks is not learned behavior. But, we are learning all the time that animals we previously thought were "mindless" hunters actually express fairly impressive cognitive skills. For example, we recently learned that large crocodilians are capable of using tools to hunt for their food.

Alligators and Crocodiles Use Tools to Hunt, in a First

It's also well understood that numerous human deaths have occurred as a result of conditioning large predators to associate humans with food. This has happened with both bears and alligators (previously thought to be purely instinctual hunters). I don't see any evidence that shark feeding programs contributed to this event. Given what we know about other animals, however, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that shark feeding programs contributed to an attack at some point.

Regardless, my deepest condolences to the family who experienced this unfortunate event.:(

Didn't one of the articles say that they were snorkeling at that pig island? Maybe the sharks are used to sneaking a sausage now and then. It's just particularly odd to have 3 of them come at her like that.

@CuzzA, why the heck didn't that guy cut the fish loose ?

I mean, what a mess just to save his fish. smh

I always carry a dive knife with me. Worst case without a weapon we're like sitting ducks.... yummy meal!

Anyone think a human can fend off a shark attack with a dive knife? I doubt but
Maybe with a spear? Right?

Well I've seen divers fend off a shark with a camera.

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but can this attack be related to the female body cycle. One shark I see being a mistake. Three? Sounds like hunting.

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but can this attack be related to the female body cycle. One shark I see being a mistake. Three? Sounds like hunting.

I’m wondering the same. The previous accident in Cocos, a female diver was killed by tiger shark: Death in Cocos from shark attack

One common thing from both accidents is floating on the surface alone.

When I was in Cocos after the accident, the dive operator set a new rule to stay together during safety stop and DM would be on the lookout for the tiger shark. When the coast is clear, he’ll point to a diver to get to the surface & get on the skiff right away. We do this one diver at a time. The DM will be the last to get on the skiff.

I guess that fish was worth dying for. ‍Cool video for us though.

He's lucky he didn't get entangled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom