Snorkeler Killed by Sharks in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy Crap! I think that shark was just annoyed at the sound. It looked p!ssed off!!

I've read on this board about people taking a bottle of water with them on a dive in case they get abandoned or just thirsty during a dive. I was wondering if it was a good idea, or just an extra thing to carry. I now KNOW I will not be carrying a bottle of water on me when I dive.
i thought the exact same thought.

i thought the exact same thought.

That's how the guides call sharks in the Maldives. Put a few small stones in the empty bottle and shake and/or roll, as seen in the video. This was unusual but maybe because the diver was virtually alone rather than with a group, I dunno. They were fairly deep too. ((There's a longer version of the video out on the internet somewhere that shows more of their adventure that day)

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but can this attack be related to the female body cycle. One shark I see being a mistake. Three? Sounds like hunting.
If you're talking about periods, then I can't imagine how I've survived any dive where there have been sharks in the vicinity, and while I'm not in the 100s of dives yet, I've had a few dozen with sharks around. Any woman on her period isn't exactly just wearing a pad in the water, it'd be a tampon (not entirely sure how well those work, tbh, someone please correct me and jump in if I'm wrong) or a cup. Both of which stop blood from entering the water and cups I know work pretty well for long and moderately deep dives. If a shark can smell blood before it fully exits the body and enters the water, then shark attacks and fatalities would likely be a lot higher.

I'm not very well-versed in shark senses or feeding behavior in that area, but is it possible if there was other prey in the water (someone mentioned pigs) that after the first shark bit, the others were attracted to the thrashing and the blood?

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but can this attack be related to the female body cycle. One shark I see being a mistake. Three? Sounds like hunting.

Seriously, guys, no. No, menstrual blood does not attract sharks

While scientific "proof" (conclusively showing cause and effect) would require an experimental design rather than just observational data, the idea that periods attract sharks is pretty well debunked.

My own observation from many dozens of dives with my period, including some shark attraction (fish scent, not feeding) dives, supports this--sharks no more interested in me than anyone else. Also, while more and more women are diving, surfing, etc. the vast majority of attacks are still on men.

If you're talking about periods, then I can't imagine how I've survived any dive where there have been sharks in the vicinity, and while I'm not in the 100s of dives yet, I've had a few dozen with sharks around. Any woman on her period isn't exactly just wearing a pad in the water, it'd be a tampon (not entirely sure how well those work, tbh, someone please correct me and jump in if I'm wrong) or a cup. Both of which stop blood from entering the water and cups I know work pretty well for long and moderately deep dives. If a shark can smell blood before it fully exits the body and enters the water, then shark attacks and fatalities would likely be a lot higher.

I'm not very well-versed in shark senses or feeding behavior in that area, but is it possible if there was other prey in the water (someone mentioned pigs) that after the first shark bit, the others were attracted to the thrashing and the blood?

Perhaps she didn't know she was getting her period. She may have been wearing a pad, and not thought about it. It may not be a factor at all. We don't know. I'm a little surprised that it was early reported that three sharks were involved, and now it's just one. This is a problem with reporting. Some of it is shoddy, and some appear to be off limits (I don't think reporters are going to ask her family or the coroner this question).

Seriously, guys, no. No, menstrual blood does not attract sharks

While scientific "proof" (conclusively showing cause and effect) would require an experimental design rather than just observational data, the idea that periods attract sharks is pretty well debunked.

My own observation from many dozens of dives with my period, including some shark attraction (fish scent, not feeding) dives, supports this--sharks no more interested in me than anyone else. Also, while more and more women are diving, surfing, etc. the vast majority of attacks are still on men.

A woman diving is most likely going to be a lot different than a young woman snorkeling. Wetsuits vs swimsuits, preparation vs. spur of the moment. Blood is blood. Hell..., the dive company in Belize threw chicken juices into the and a one foot long shrk came into the shallows within two or three minuted. Same for Turks & Caicos with the snorkel safari and the conch juices (but this was a two foot shark). They can detect fluids in the water, and blood is one of those fluids. I know it's not like the scene from Carrie, but some have heavier flows than others. Some ladies can be surprised by the onset of the period. I know I have had to help more than one lady leave a restaurant discretely from the bathroom. It happens.

I don't know why this is any more implausible than the shark (or sharks) confused her for a pig.

The likelihood is the shark saw the girl at or near the surface and based size shape and contrast decided to check her out. Mistaken identity is a real possibility. A human would would present a silhouette about the right dimensions for a pig in the water. Her paddling around might be close enough to vibrations of a swimming pig. It wouldn’t need to be perfect, just the close enough.

@Snoweman, for your own protection I would avoid explaining female biology to a female. It never ends well

Perhaps she didn't know she was getting her period. She may have been wearing a pad, and not thought about it. It may not be a factor at all. We don't know. I'm a little surprised that it was early reported that three sharks were involved, and now it's just one. This is a problem with reporting. Some of it is shoddy, and some appear to be off limits (I don't think reporters are going to ask her family or the coroner this question).

A woman diving is most likely going to be a lot different than a young woman snorkeling. Wetsuits vs swimsuits, preparation vs. spur of the moment. Blood is blood. Hell..., the dive company in Belize threw chicken juices into the and a one foot long shrk came into the shallows within two or three minuted. Same for Turks & Caicos with the snorkel safari and the conch juices (but this was a two foot shark). They can detect fluids in the water, and blood is one of those fluids. I know it's not like the scene from Carrie, but some have heavier flows than others. Some ladies can be surprised by the onset of the period. I know I have had to help more than one lady leave a restaurant discretely from the bathroom. It happens.

I don't know why this is any more implausible than the shark (or sharks) confused her for a pig.

Trust me, wet pads are extremely uncomfortable (and wouldn't even hold blood at that point, it would just be a water-soaked pad being useless) and no one would ever wear a pad into the water, and women don't start wearing hygiene products for no reason. Imagine being chafed in your nether regions by a wet diaper. In general, periods occur in a predictable cycle (after the first few years of getting them, at least) and a good amount of women get little signs that Aunt Flo is visiting before the blood flows. I can predict with 90% accuracy the window in which my period will happen, and you can bet that I'll be keeping a close eye on my body. From what I have read and heard from doctors, SB women's forums, and other sources, being on your period while using feminine hygiene products is no greater attractant to a shark than anything else. Both tampons and cups prevent blood from leaking, and from what I've experienced, water actually kind of decreases the amount of flow until I exit the water. And those are my observations from my cup, so there was no chance that it was leaking out without me noticing. If you're curious about periods I'd be happy to set any misconceptions you have straight over PM or we can move this to the women's thread, but beyond that I think we should show a bit more respect for this young woman and not go any further on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom