Snorkelers yanking on coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a little of a purist as to "no touch" and I was a little dismayed with our DM on on recent trip to CZM. The DM routinely picked up conch, hermit crabs, dug heart urchins out of the sand, handed sea cucumbers to other divers and poked at scorpion fish and morays. No....I did not say anything to him or the dive operation. All my buddy and I did was turn our backs and swim away when he started his antics.

I am a little of a purist as to "no touch" and I was a little dismayed with our DM on on recent trip to CZM. The DM routinely picked up conch, hermit crabs, dug heart urchins out of the sand, handed sea cucumbers to other divers and poked at scorpion fish and morays. No....I did not say anything to him or the dive operation. All my buddy and I did was turn our backs and swim away when he started his antics.

Yep. DM at CCV woke and chased a sleeping turtle on one of my dives there. Disgusting.

I dI'd two days of boat diving in se florida recently. One boat had newer divers or vacation divers on it. Lots of dangling gear dragging the bottom, fin kicks to the coral and just a total lack of awareness of what they were doing.

Now I like to get close up and see things but can't you control your bouyancy and trim to get in there without hitting g everything?

The second boat, well let's just say that out of 12 divers not one came close to touching what shouldn't be touched. All experienced divers.

May be yours but certainly not mine. Diving Bonaire it's mostly Dutch and Germans. The DM's ignore it and say nothing. I doubt that a single country can be singled out. Where ever most of the boat divers come from will be the main abusers.

My experience tells me that it's inexperienced and newly minted divers and divers with GoPro's and selfie sticks, and yes, even with high end photo rigs. Some have shite for buoyancy control and situational awareness. Some just think their pleasure/photo/video is more important than the reef.

I guess you haven't been diving in areas frequented by mainland Chinese or Koreans. Many of them interact horrendously with critters. Of course I know others of such origins who are very well versed in being careful with the critters.

My point exactly. The common thread to this whole discussion is that this happens with every race and culture, and not limited to "central americans" as was mentioned in the outset. There are those that do it and those that despise it.... regardless of where they come from.

I think it is much more a state of mind, a lack of education and a lack of an ethical "care" gene or something similar. Drive down any highway in and country on any continent, and you see litter. Go to any country and you see vandalism. I like fishing yet get so frustrated with other fisher-folk for the garbage they leave, for illegal catches, for not treating the environment with respect. I used to hunt (on land.) I again witnessed cruel behavior, people shooting a doe but they didn't have a doe permit, so they just let it lay there and die. I have seen people shoot beautiful bucks only to take the head for mounting. I have seen people shoot all sorts of animals, not for food, but for the "thrill" of killing something.

Killing coral or a sea cucumber, a starfish, or anything without a purpose (hunting for food, life preservation, preserving reefs, invasive species, legitimate scientific study, etc.) is nothing short of immoral, unethical behavior that should get you banned from doing that behavior (or having the access to do that behavior) again.

I agree completely with it being a state of mind, lack of education, etc. In every race there are the ones who simply dont care enough of the environment and those who do everything they can to preserve it. Don't get me started on hunting lol

Reactions: Doc
With half the barrier reef dying due to global warming it seems weird to criticize a relatively few inexperienced or ignorant divers. If you really want to do something, discuss climate change with your friends.

I believe this is all about respect. Every time i go diving i remind myself, that i am a guest in another world and as a guest i should act with respect and consideraton.

I was on a Bahamas snorkel boat in which a woman had brought back a "decor" sea fan over the objections of the guide, and laid it on boat deck to dry. Although it was too late to save its life, I still slid my fin under it and flipped it over the side of the boat on the ride back.

I really like your fin. Amazing it sort of accidentally did this. Would have liked to see the "culprit's" face too. But yes, sadly of course the damage was done. Shameful that many operators, while not necessarily endorsing it nevertheless continue to let it happen.

If like self supported diving where possible for a number of reasons. budget, self reliance, staying sharp, but also because i do not support anyone who does not actively and seriously discourage such things. Of course I like the convenience of boat diving too when the budget allows. It's great. I think it would be better if we all had a way of identifying which outfit really and actively is on the side on the environment and which just appears to be. We could vote with our feet and dollars. Often the only kind of voting that makes a real difference.

Just came across this video. Family snorkeling in Roatan. Picking up sea cucumber, conch. Also, at about 1:30 someone is yanking on a piece of coral and drags it across the bottom.
:banghead::rant:

Perhaps their lack of environmental awareness & respect is reflected in the severe lack of taste in music (imho) :no:

Such a shame to see, unfortunately l seem to hear of this type of behaviour fairly regularly; although I've never actually seen it happen.
Thankfully most people I've dived with so far have been respectful of the ocean and its inhabitants.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom