Snorkeling death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

correlation.png

The burden of proof is on the positive. If you think that these are more dangerous than conventional snorkels, then you need to show some evidence

I think that when a new type of gear is introduced that has potential hazards, the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the manufacturers and promoters of the gear to demonstrate that it is safe and to communicate any non-obvious hazards.

I've seen these full-face snorkels. I doubt very much if I would like one, and they are expensive enough I'm not inclined to purchase one just to see what it's like. But I understand the appeal. My wife is not especially comfortable in the water, and I imagine that she would find a full-face snorkel more comfortable because the sensation of having her nose and mouth under water is what triggers her fears. I'm not about to suggest it because absent data to suggest otherwise, I don't think anyone who is unwilling to put their face underwater has any business snorkeling.

And I somehow suspect that's part of the problem. These snorkels don't appeal to any of us. I mean, why would anyone who is comfortable on scuba want a snorkel that isn't capable of even a triflingly modest 6' freedive? The target market for these is people who aren't entirely comfortable in the water and who are unwilling to invest the time, money, and discipline to change that.

We all know that correlation does not necessarily imply causation. The number of correlative factors in any event may be almost infinite.The great majority of people killed in sky diving accidents also watch TV and wear sneakers. Causation must be teased out very, very carefully. Remember this when considering age-related mortality statistics and specific catastrophic events. It's a complicated ball of wire. Aged automobile drivers probably kill more younger drivers than die themselves because of their infirmities. A secondary age-related causative factor once removed? Battle deaths are also heavily skewed toward younger soldiers. Their age is not really directly causative, even when accounting for their relative numbers.

Older divers are much more likely to die while diving. One causative factor may be donuts and beer consumed in small quantities over a long period of time.

My non diving wife with mild thalassophobia (she can snorkel, but won't dive) was considering getting one of those new full facemask snorkels for our upcoming trip to Turks and Caicos. I just saw this.

How One Woman's Snorkeling Death Might Help Save Lives

Anyone have any opinions or insights?
I have a business in Cancun-to-Cozumel that rents Ocean Reef Full Face Snorkel Masks. During peak season we rent hundreds of times a month. Many of the rentals result in sales. We have never had any problems at all similar to those described in this article. But it is important to note that there are many, many Asian knock-off and inferior products that have restricted snorkel intake tubes, inferior silicone seals, etc. The one described in the article is an inferior knock-off.

Back
Top Bottom