Snorkeling in Almyrida, Crete (Mediterranean)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaakko

New
Reaction score
I wanted to share my experiences regarding snorkeling in Almyrida town because there seems not to be good report on it yet. We visited Almyrida in October 2017 and the sea water temperature was 24 C. I had my 1.5 mm Elios freediving wetsuit (nylon lining inside) which was warm enough for 1-2 h of snorkeling. During our 2 weeks, we experienced 5 days which were a bit too windy to snorkel (wind speed over ~6 meters/second from North results big waves which hit the shallow shore making entrance a bit difficult) and also about 7 days where the sea was super calm and there was practically no waves at all.

Map at the bottom of this post.

The cliff (a) is relatively nice. The depth is around 1-3 m near the cliffs and there are nice rock formations and lots of juvenile groupers, crabs and other typical fish for this region. The above water scenery is also lovely with high cliffs next to you. The cliff material actually has fossils in it so if you are lucky you can find fossils as well. If you swim more north (b) there is a sharp rock which I named “shark tooth” rock. There the sea opens a bit, as the cliff ends and there is subsequently more colorful algae and also more fish. There are also other large boulders and water is slightly deeper,max 4 meters or so. The island (g) has deeper water behind it, so for more serious free diving and snorkeling, that’s the place to go. I did not go there myself. However, if you go, you must be careful with boat traffic and a dive buddy and a paddle boat are probably a good idea. If you swim from point a towards point f, you will probably see some sunken stuff, such as sun beds etc. garbage. The small rock formation (f) is so close to the shallow sand beach so the visibility is affected especially in windy days. However, this is nice place to get yourself adjusted to local conditions or to go snorkeling with kids.

The eastern side was my favorite. I entered the water from sharp rocky shore just behind the wave breaker (c). However, the weather needs to be super calm to do this and you may want to swim from the main beach instead to avoid getting yourself injured due to sharp rocks. There the water depth is also about 2-4 meters and there are lovely rock formations, small caves (d) some weird rubbish (e) and lots of fish. I saw many octopus and juvenile groupers there.

There seems to be a wreck in between the shark tooth rock and the eastern breaker (c). I found it out from bathymetric map, but did not go looking for it myself. Maybe a dive buddy and a paddleboat would again be a good idea for this kind of exploration. The bathymetric map can be found from here: Nautical maps of Greece and Greek Islands by Navionics

Have fun!

almyrida.jpg

What a surprise! A report about Almyrida in SB!
I live nearby - west side of the city of Chania. Together with my family and friends we went to Almyrida several times this summer to swim and snorkel. We stayed though in the shallow sandy parts (my daughter can't swim that far - she is only 4 years old) and I'd say it is pretty boring. Now that I know that nearby there are such interesting spots I'll definitely give it another try next summer.
Just for you information, do you know that just around the corner of the cape north-east of Almyrida there is the "Elephant Cave" dive site?? A very nice cave that can be very easily accessed with scuba. If you know where/how to find it you can even free dive there (not recommended though).
The entrance is at a depth of about 8 meters then there is a 10 or so meters long overhead passage (wide enough to be easily accessible) and then the main cave is pretty big (about 125 meters long, 25 meters wide, only 1-2 meters deep, and with a ceiling height of up to 10meter above sea level) with breathable air.
Inside you can see a lot of very nice stalactite/stalagmite formations and even the remaining of a petrified prehistoric skeleton of an elephant (hence the name of the place).
A must see if you haven't done that before. And if you go, bring as many strong lights as possible with you.

Hi Stepfen,
yes I am aware of the Elephant cave, quite popular spot among scuba I assume.
Also, there is boat trips available in Almyrida that take snorkelers to good spots. I am nowdays travelling with family, so it is nice to be able to do short, or longer snorkeling whenever during the day. Thats why I try to check the accessible snorkeling sites before arrival, but this time had to relay on satellite images, which is also a good way to investigate in advance. But yeah, nice place for easy shallow water stuff.

-J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom