Snorkeling in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Where is the best snorkeling to keep the non-diving spouse happy in the afternoons? We're staying at Occidental Grand so anyplaces that are south of town would be best.

Thanks.

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
Where is the best snorkeling to keep the non-diving spouse happy in the afternoons? We're staying at Occidental Grand so anyplaces that are south of town would be best.
My personal favorite, though it's a drive from just about anywhere on the island, would be Chen Rio. Best of all worlds:

1. Cold Cervesa
2. Good seafood platter for two.
3. Cold Cervesa
4. Great Salsa
5. Cold Cervesa
6. The lovely sound of breaking waves.
7. Cold Cervesa
8. Nice little protected area for snorkling.
9. Cold Cervesa
10. No crowds.
11. Cold Cervesa.

James

James Goddard:
My personal favorite, though it's a drive from just about anywhere on the island, would be Chen Rio. Best of all worlds:

1. Cold Cervesa
2. Good seafood platter for two.
3. Cold Cervesa
4. Great Salsa
5. Cold Cervesa
6. The lovely sound of breaking waves.
7. Cold Cervesa
8. Nice little protected area for snorkling.
9. Cold Cervesa
10. No crowds.
11. Cold Cervesa.

James
Although I truly love Chen Rio and have spent many an hour there (their whole deep-fried snapper is superb!), I wouldn't really classify it as a snorkeling location. You can snorkel in the lagoon, certainly, but it's 4 feet deep and nothing to see but sand, and outside the lagoon the water will likely be too rough for it.

If you want to snorkel where you can see reef life, then the best places will be on the west side. A good spot with a bar is Playa Corona, which is just south of Chankanaab. Chankanaab itself is OK, but there's a cover charge and it may be mobbed with cruseros. If you snorkel Chankanaab, go south a ways from the entry point; you'll get away from most of the crowd and the reef is better.

ggunn:
A good spot with a bar is Playa Corona, which is just south of Chankanaab.
Playa Corona is off my list as they are now charging divers to use the restrooms...

James

James Goddard:
Playa Corona is off my list as they are now charging divers to use the restrooms...

James

I've a question for you. Underneath your name, there's a silouhette of a man (scaramouche, scaramouche, will you do the fandango...) and what looks like a camera and some film; what do they mean?

ggunn:
I've a question for you. Underneath your name, there's a silouhette of a man (scaramouche, scaramouche, will you do the fandango...) and what looks like a camera and some film; what do they mean?
The man means I have set my gender under my profile (hold on let me check under my skirt, yep I'm a guy). The camera means I've joined the photo group.

James

The best snorkel areas on the island are located between Chankanaab and the Presidente hotel since waters are calm and there is alot of ironshore in this area. Remember, where you have long sandy beaches ~ you typically won't get good shore-based snorkeling. There is a beach chart on cozumelinsider that actually rates the snorkel areas and you can print it out to take with you! have fun and enjoy your time in Cozumel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom