Snorkeling Kelp forests and white shark encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm keen to do snorkel through the kelp forests at Windmill beach but I've read some articles and got mixed responses regarding white sharks who avoid kelp forests.

If I'm on the surface or decide to duck dive below and swim through the forest, will I see a white shark? Like do white sharks live in them or swim through them?

Charles

Hi @charliebrowncpt, while I study coral reefs, I am pretty familiar with kelp forests from growing up in California. Kelp forests are too confiding for Great White Sharks. They are ambush predators and need lots of space from below, with no obstructions to launch an attack. It also depends on where you are diving. I have heard stories of divers seeing GWSs passing by on the outside of the kelp forests at Catalina Island in California. But these incidents are very rare and lackluster. You are far more likely to run into trouble by getting entangled in kelp than encountering a shark in one.

Have dived the kelp forests of Catalina for nearly 50 years and have only seen great whites at a distance. Out in the open I've had a few close passes, but nothing aggressive. Kelp forests are somewhat difficult to snorkle over due to the canopy but snorkeling along the inner edge of them might be productive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom