Snorkeling Trip on the Alapaha River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We were down on the Alapaha River for Labor Day at my dad's place. This river is in south georgia, just above florida and for most of the year is usually a shallow river. I figured I would carry along my mask and snorkel to see what I could find. There is a curve with some type of substance that looks like flint but is real brittle. The spot was 2-3 foot deep and the water was running pretty good through there so I decided to give it a look-see. After fanning the sand away down to the clay, sure enough shark teeth, small but shark teeth none the less. They were not megs or makos like I am accustomed to finding but it sure was fun. My 9 year old son came along and I let him take over with the mask and snorkel and he found a couple of teeth. A storm started coming our way so we had to leave after about 15 minutes of searching. Here are the finds and I could not believe I actually found a hemi!!! There was also an alligator tooth. The Atlantic ocean is probaly 90 miles as the crow flies and the Gulf is about 90 miles as well.

Any info on the type of shark and time period that they are from would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC09021 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    DSC09021 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC09022 (Copy).JPG
    DSC09022 (Copy).JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 165
AWESOME Lee!! How did it go????????????????
:popcorn:

HELLO Sharky!

It was Muddy Muddy Muddy. The water is tidal so the mud goes nowhere. Were there fossils and sharks teeth there? Yes I am sure of it. Were there alligators there? Did not see any, but Yes I am sure of this also. Would I hunt there? No. Too difficult with the NO VIZ and super mud hole image. Would I hunt further up-stream? Maybe. Seems to be a bed you would want to hunt at low tide in a location where there is no water at all. Have massive fossil collections been found in the Ashley river? Yes for hundreds of years by dredgers.

I much prefer the Edisto river for fossil hunting. It is much more clear except for tanic staining and the banks and bottom are sand. Much friendlier. Rivers that are constantly moving will take mud and such down river so you do not get that massively muddy effect like you do with tidal water.

Ashley river below Herbert Jessen Landing in Summerville SC

Iamsharky, which town were you near? I live about 1 mile from the alapaha. I have found lots of dugong bone, and what may be beaver tusks.

Lee: Great report!! I would like to dive there sometime. Conditions such as tides, recent rains all affect viz. I dove a spot last week and had great viz and found some teeth. Dove this week and there was an exceptionally long slack tide and viz was horrible with no teeth to show for it. Timing is crucial...........

K: I was near Statenville..............

I use to dive the slack tides when I lived in the coastal NC area. I have experience with diving tides, I just don't like mud. There are better places around to fossil hunt. I just wanted to check it out, thats all.

Hey check out this old 3.5" Meg I found in my junk teeth box. If it did not have the broken corner it would be a really nice specimen.

Attachments

• 59797776.jpg
    59797776.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 247
Iamsharky, I live in Statenville. I grew up there too...I'd be surprised if I hadn't at least heard of your dad, being a small town and all.

Back
Top Bottom