Snorkeling with kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Start them out in a pool. A year ago my 8 year old wouldn't even put his face in the water and now he zooms around the pool with mask, snorkel and fins. Got him a shorty wetsuit and plan on taking him snorkeling this weekend at a lake nearby.

Much depends upon the swimming ability of everyone involved.

Start them out in a pool.

Agree with this. I've found (as a swimming instructor) one of the hardest things for some very young swimmers as well as some adults is breathing through their mouth only. Be sure everyone is competent with the snorkel and mask. Snorkeling will be a fun family hobby and starting the kids out early is great.

Jupiter is only 12 miles from Phil Foster park under the Blue Heron bridge. Might be an awesome place to family snorkel.

UNDERWATER SNORKELING TRAIL
The Blue Heron Bridge area is internationally recognized by scientists, scuba divers, underwater photographers, and snorkelers for its abundance of unique marine life. Squid, octopus, spotted rays, and starfish are regularly seen. A snorkel trail made of limestone boulders and prefabricated reef modules spans a two-acre area in 6 to 10 feet of water. 600 tons of rock were used to build this artificial reef!

I agree starting them off in the pool and getting them comfortable
breathing out of the snorkel is great idea . Both you and the kids
will have a much better time wherever you decide to snorkel .
Sea Dwellers

Start in the pool for basic skills and comfort level. Many things can interfere with this at a snorkeling site, even somewhere as perfect as Blue Heron Bridge. Visibility, salt water in eyes/mouth, marine life, just to name a few, can be a major distraction while learning the basics. I'm not for spending money unnecessarily, but maybe the place you are staying offers a snorkeling class? The skills are not a tough thing, but maybe even YOU could learn some techniques that will help you when out there. Once they are ready, only take one at a time or have your wife with one and you with the other. My kids are recently OW certified, but have been snorkeling in OW since 4 and 5 years old. It can be a challenge to pay attention to more than one at a time, and even harder to assist one while maintaining supervision of the others, particularly at this age. Snorkel vests are a plus, but one more piece of equipment to deal with learning how to use, and being comfortable using. I like the idea of a float/flag. If you are in a designated swimming/snorkeling area, they are not mandatory, but give the kids (and you) some peace of mind for safety. Enjoy your time in the area. We have a lot to offer!

I know this is a month old post but I wanted to add to it because I'm in a similar position.

Both my kids (8 and 12) starting out this spring could barely swim. My wife and I started teaching them first how to float, then actually start moving that didn't look like a dying dolphin. Getting their face down in the water was a struggle they're now ok with.

Fast forward, I bought them each a snorkel set and with them we started in the pool. Mask only first then mask and snorkel, just to get them used to the motions. They've done really well with it and are having fun.

Recently took them to a lake that has a lot of boat traffic. This simulates waves really well (that have no end to them apparently) which showed them how to manage that. Unfortunately with the waves it made it impossible to see.

Our next steps are to get into some calm lakes. Ones where they can see down and experience what's down there. Get used to the feeling of things around them.

I bought them those floater snorkel vests that when put in water over their heads, worked really well. They're able to float, take a break, and then keep going. They can even deflate it a bit and dive.

It's funny the child that I anticipated would struggle the most is now doing a lot better than the other one. They've both gained a lot of confidence with starting in the pool and lake. Snorkeling is one of those things that isn't a completely natural thing to do (breathe through a tube with a mask covering your nose). So it's been an interesting experience for everyone.

We're headed to the Bahamas this year on a cruise and I scheduled a snorkeling excursion. I'm hoping they're both well experienced to at least feel comfortable in the ocean water by the time they get there. We'll keep at it until we go both in the pool and lakes. Unfortunately being land locked we have limited options with where to go and training classes. I'm hoping to get scuba certified at some point and my oldest wants to do it too.

If anyone has other tips feel free to post them.

Last edited:
Currently, I am teaching my children to snorkel. Now in the beginning, we are using nothing else than just a mask and a snorkel.

The first thing they had to learn was to float near the surface without using arms nor legs, just relaxing and breathing through the snorkel. This exercise was done on shallow water. I think this exercise is important because it allows them to rest at any time even if they would be at deeper water later on.

The next thing they had to learn was to make a very short dive, just enough to fill the snorkel and then to blow out the water. From teaching another child earlier, I think semi-dry snorkels are important, because children do have difficulties to get enough of high speed air to force out all the water. This exercise is also made at shallow water so they can stand up at any point if they would choke on the water entering the snorkel.

When they fully master these things they have to slowly advance in diving in the pace they find suitable while I watch over them in case something unexpected would happen. Of course you should learn them to blow in air behind the air drum, so they do not injure their ears when they go deeper.

Back
Top Bottom