Snorkle Use while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring a snorkel with me, however it is tucked away under the wing of my BC. It is there just in case the boat loses me and I get stranded. Basically the same reason I carry signaling devices.

I bring a snorkel with me, however it is tucked away under the wing of my BC. It is there just in case the boat loses me and I get stranded. Basically the same reason I carry signaling devices.

Mine is in a milk crate I keep in my basement - not sure how much use it will be if the boat loses me!

:eyebrow:

If the boat loses you and it is rough it could make it easier to relax and breathe.

I also use a snorkel quite a bit for snorkeling.

If the boat loses you and it is rough it could make it easier to relax and breathe.

Yeah, I meant it wouldn't be much use to me if I was lost and my snorkel was in my basement!

:eyebrow:

I use a Snorkel for sure when diving, I go to see the water, the life there and possible dangers below, or better still, the treasures others pass over while laying back looking at the sky on their way out. But safety first, above all. With all the good advice here about how to manage a snorkel you can try it out in a pool setting or shallow and if you still cannot manage than keep yourself happy and dive without the snorkel. : )

Snorkel debate......use what ever works for you. Snorkels have there place. They do not belong under water attached to your mask...it just adds drag. If you do any type of wreck exploration then that snorkel is a hazard. If you cave dive...that snorkel is a hazard..if you are in current..that snorkel will be a pain in the side ...:wink:

If you want a snorkel...take it off once you've done your surface swim..put it back on if needed. I carry one in a pocket. Rolls up in a small ball...Got it from Aqua lung...I have never had to use it...In chop-rough waters...My reg is in my mouth...Just do what is comfortable for you in the environment you dive in.

Also note that if you advance your dive training to any level above recreational diving..you will quickly loose that snorkel.

I find it is a great back-up when low on gas. I have a snork attached to all my masks. Your call

I think it's a great idea to have a snorkel. What if you run out of air and have to swim a bit back to the boat. Or if you're low on air and there is a strong current at the surface, a snorkel is a great way to save air. Snorkels, as someone mentioned are also great for shore diving. I don't use them however in overhead environments such caverns, wreck penetrations and things like that. I like my snorkel so much I don't want to ruin in or loose it! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom