So far so good -- 16 eagle rays together is just par for the course, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Into our fourth day of diving here and Cozumel is growing on me... thrilled with the TLC from Jeremy, and we couldn't ask for nicer conditions. The scenery is incredibly varied, which makes up for a lower fish density. Nice to see a few anemones -- those were entirely missing the last time we hit Bonaire, and haven't been common anywhere else I remember in the Caribbean. Although I have not yet had a good look at a spotted toadfish (an oblivious gal like me could exasperate a less patient divemaster), I appreciated discovering another Cozumel species, the Great Big Jesus-Mary-and-Joseph green moray.

This morning there were sixteen eagle rays in formation at Eagle Ray Alley. Oh my.

Don't desperately need to know which sites not to miss in our last two days, because it's clear we'll be back... but open to suggestions all the same. Kind of want to tick the toadfish off the list; it would be embarrassing to leave without a clear look at him. And wouldn't mind seeing whatever is the closest Cozumel can come to an aquarium effect.

Cheers to all.

Wow- and I thought seeing 3 eagle rays was a treat!

Was the moray free swimming? They are beautiful.

I managed to spot a toadfish myself on our trip, but a few times we had other divers point and tell us to take a picture- and then when the photos were uploaded, I had to ask what they were showing me- I was clueless, but the divers were excited, so I took the picture!

Glad you are having a good time here. I guess I will miss you on the boat by one day! Eagle ray squadrons are late arriving this year. I think they are Jeremy's favourite...I would be surprised if he doesn't try and drag you back in one of your next two dives. But conditions permitting, ask him to take you to Maracaibo Shallows. It is my favourite. Not so much for the fish life/aquarium factor but for the soft corals and sea fans.

Lucky you. They weren't around in quantity for my visit a month ago.

Just to nitpick: they're splendid, not spotted. Ask Jeremy to find you one, that should be easy for him. I keep him challenged by asking for frogfish and seahorses.

I suggest Columbia Shallows for the aquarium experience. It never gets "old".

FT - Wow, I bet seeing the Eagle Ray Squadron was exciting. Definitely a take home memory from your trip. And, Hang in there on your Splendid Toadfish Adventure. They usually hang out in little "caves" perhaps the size round of a large Grapefruit. Often the hideout is closer to the sandy bottom and all you will see is their head. Of course their distinctive striped markings and finger-like beard are very cool. At night, listen for the Splendid Toad as they have a very unique grunt. My trick on finding them is to use my flashlight, day or night dives. Just look into the holes as you go along. Hopefully you get to see one out of their grotto as they have a beautiful yellow apron. Good Luck !

Best Wishes and Enjoy your trip !!

Ss

We have seen at least 2 toadfish each of our last couple of trips to Cozumel... all were in the shallows around Paradise and Chankanaab.

The fish aquarium effect - I have a preference for Punta Tunich and Paseo de Cedral for that. Both have very strong current, but you are surrounded by BIG angels, triggers, turtles, nurse sharks, etc. biggest angels I have ever seen anywhere in Caribbean are there. For large schools of smaller fish and less current, try Yucab.

Toadfish can be found on Cedral Pass & I know a place at Palancar Gardens where they can be found, an "incrop" with a sandy slope near the beginning of the dive with several small 'mini caves' on the slope. This is where I found the toadfish with babies a couple years ago.

They can also be found on most of the shallow/second dive sites. Yucab, Francesa, Paradise, Delila, Chankanaab Bolones...

...look for small 'mini caves' near the bottom of a coral head, where it meets the sand. Holes about 6"-8" across (sometimes larger) and not very high seem to be favorites hiding spots.

...happy hunting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom