So I am not the only person roasting this moron....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting video to say the least. Like @The Chairman, I have no reason to doubt the man in regards to him being Cave Certified. I personally have trained several 1000's of divers over the years, who have forgot things they have learned, and resorted back to calling regulators respirators, or even worse, a scuba cylinder an oxygen tank. I feel confident most instructors would agree, that some divers forget more than we teach them, if they are not immersed in scuba diving the way we are. When I talk to them now, I think to myself, "Did I really certify this person way back when." Whether he has ever been cave diving or not, and whether his story is made up, I can speak first hand, on what its like to be in an overhead environment during a silt out. The stress, the panic, the impeding fear of doom is all too real. Without experience, calmness, and training, I would have never made it out.
During the media coverage about the rescue, I had lots of people stop me and talk to me about cave diving. I was impressed with the questions people had and their level of understanding

After 10 years in Law Enforcement, I get the most entertainment from watching news broadcast about me. The one that got me the most, was a car chase, where we exceeded 120 miles an hour for approximately 2 miles, before the suspect wreck and flipped his car. After rolling 3 to 4 times, he had cause such a dust ball, I had to wait at least a minute before I could approach the vehicle. Miraculously he survived, and was able to crawl out of the car an elude me before I could apprehend him. Afterwards, my Lieutenant instructed me to give a statement to the local news station, during which I explained why I initiated the chase to begin with and what happen after the suspect wrecked his vehicle. What made the news broadcast so funny was, the intro stated that a suspect ran from the police, wrecked his car, started a fight with the officer, injured the officer, then ran from the scene. Then immediately afterwards they show the interview with me, where I stated that I initiated a chase for approximately 2 miles before the suspect wreck his car and fled the scene. Afterwards the anchorman stated the officer (which was me by the way) suffered minor injuries due to a physical altercation with the suspect, but would recover with in a few days. The only injury I sustained, was the embarrassment from my department for not being able to apprehend a suspect after he flipped his car during a chase. I got hounded for several weeks over that one. The point being made, is the entertainment industry creates so much dramatic effect (or lies as I call them), simply for entertainment purposes.

I am also someone who despises arrogance and self-aggrandizement, and my brain normally turns off when people start out stories that way. I didn't get that from this video. When he says "I'm a super-diver", it really didn't sound like "I'm such an amazing diver, look at me go", it sounded more like "I'm super into diving, and I love all aspects of it". I know the words he actually said were "I'm a super-diver", and that if I read a transcript of the interview I would take it as someone who thinks they are awesome, but listening to him just makes me think he likes diving a lot.

I know zero other that what I've read here about cave diving, but is it true that you are trained to only worry about yourself in a situation like that? Are you not supposed to go in after your buddy?

Regarding the saving your buddy comment. It's pretty well known that a rescuer needs to make calculated decisions to not become a casualty as well. I think that's what he was referring to, but he's blazing through the story, trying to explain as he goes to a non diver, probably under time constraints, likely with a producer in his ear counting down how much time is left in the segment.

I'll tell you right now if I were diving with anyone of you and you were thrashing and flailing about, I'd back away too. The only way I would engage that situation is if it were my sons.

When he says "I'm a super-diver", it really didn't sound like "I'm such an amazing diver, look at me go", it sounded more like "I'm super into diving, and I love all aspects of it".
It could be I misunderstood. I did tune out right quick so I guess there's a chance I didn't give him a fair shake.

Nice title to this thread!! Got it off to a good start so the bandwagon hoppers could chime in.

I love free speech so have at it!!!!

You guys are a bunch of dorks!!!!!!!!! (My free speech!!)

Nice title to this thread!! Got it off to a good start so the bandwagon hoppers could chime in.

I love free speech so have at it!!!!

You guys are a bunch of dorks!!!!!!!!! (My free speech!!)
Allow me to personally welcome you to speak your mind any 'ole time you feel like it--

--Edit: just caught that the avatar's your wife... false advertising sir!

Still interested in your thoughts, just much, much less :wink:

Was there not a better way to manage this?
Indubitably. First, if the buddy had the line, what was he doing on the main line BEFORE it got tied off? The first person in belays the reel. The second in line holds a light, makes sure that there are no entrapments and should have been right there before the first diver freaked. So, he's broken a rule right there, but it's Mexico. It doesn't appear that they are as fastidious about line protocol as we are here in Cave Country. Is it better? I guess that depends on the diver. I certainly feel uncomfortable with it, but dive and let dive.

After he broke that first rule, all bets are off. That panicked diver took the out line with him. There's no way to get out except to get off the gold line. Most tie ins in Mexico are within seeing the outside light. If it were me and I made such a glaring first error, I would have grabbed the gold line and stopped moving. If he felt a flow coming in, it would have cleared up soon enough. Enough anyway to see the light from outside. Sit still for twenty minutes and block your light or turn it off. Still no light? Tie your reel off on the gold line and swim to where you think the exit is. Don't lose that gold line!!!

Allow me to personally welcome you to speak your mind any 'ole time you feel like it--

--Edit: just caught that the avatar's your wife... false advertising sir!

Still interested in your thoughts, just much, much less :wink:

LOL!! 10 -4 on that and likewise!

I like to show her off and I'm too ugly to put my pic up.

I get it, less talking and more pics of the wife!

I find it slightly amusing to read so many comments about whether or not he was stoned, etc and yet nobody seemed to pick up on him saying he needed to do some mushrooms and ask himself some questions near the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom