So I took my son to Jimbo's. Does that make me a bad parent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Yesterday I had to go into Miami and work for a few hours.
I took my 10 year old son along for the ride.
He grabbed his Nintendo DS, a book, some Capri Suns, and we both brought swim trunks (Why are they called "trunks").
We got outta' work around 2 pm and headed for the Rickenbacker Causeway.
We made the first right after getting on the Causeway and splashed around a bit with the natives. A reminder....not everyone should wear a bikini....much less a thong!
If only they would post that on signs in English, Spanish, French, and German along south Florida's beaches.
We saw mostly nice families and a crapload of wind surfers.
We took a trash bag and picked up all the junk we could in 30 minutes or so
(I was taught by my parents to always leave the place cleaner than you found it, my kids got the same lesson).
We then loaded up and continued towards Crandon Key. I pointed out the old Miami Marine Stadium (Jimmy Buffett, Hank Junior...oh.. the memories) to the left, the Seaquarium to the right, and wonder what ever happened to Planet Ocean. We then made the left turn just after Mast Academy and headed for JIMBO's!
At the gate to the Virginia Key park we had to pay the five bucks even though I uttered the secret passcode "We are going to Jimbo's". The guy at the gatehouse clearly thinks I am a bad parent and still charged me the $5.
We stopped off at the beach on the right, picked up more trash (lots of trash sadly) and saw puffer fish, cow fish, a skate, and lots of little crabs.
We then got hungry and headed in.
Jimbo was not in residence when we were there yesterday.
It would also appear that they will not give them back electricity, so a generator was running inside the shrimp shack. My son had never seen Bocce Ball before so we watched that for a bit, saw a manatee out at the boats just hanging around, and he found some cool pieces of glass from a mosaic of some kind at the waters edge in the dirt.
He got a Sprite, I got a Silver Bullet, and we bought a couple hot dogs.
I bought the wife a pound of smoked fish, very good may I add, took some pictures and picked up some trash.
I will say I think you need to get there earlier if you bing kids, as some of the patrons were a little more gone than I would have liked so early in the day.
I got my gate receipt stamped with the word JIMBO's on the back and headed to the gate to get my $5 back!!
We loaded up, went towards Bill Baggs State Park, and as it was 4:30 chose not to spend $8 for a one hour visit and u-turned towards the beach next to Paradise Divers at the marina. I know nothing about paradise Divers...does anyone have opinions?
We then went to the beach (JACKPOT).
There were two very nice Venezuelan ladies there laying on the sand wearing only the bottom half of their bikinis which was a no-no as the beach was was closed. I somehow genuinely missed the sign (no clue why).
I am told they just replaced a bunch of Turtle Grass and cleaned up the scrapes the idiots with their water bikes/wave runners have left all over the place, and we found urchins and sea squirts.
My son also spent time looking at the boats coming back in to the marina, I mostly looked for Bikinis and had a nice conversation with a heavily accented Cuban Grandfather with his two year old grandson. He might have been the proudest father I met that day as his son is a Naval Academy graduate and a chopper pilot in the United States Marine Corps. He wants us all to know how thankful he is to live in freedom in the USA, and he thinks President Obama is a "Communista".

My son and I then loaded up and he fell asleep for the ride home to Coconut Creek, and upon arriving home, he grabbed his skateboard and transformed himself into a skate rat before my very eyes, I gave my wife the smoked fish from Jimbo's Place, got a kiss in return and I took a shower.
It was a good day.

Chug
Is glad to live in the USA.

Sounds like a great old Florida father and son outing to me. I guess is it all how things are presented. Son, let's check out Jimbo's for food and while we are in there let's take a look at the state of the unfortunate folks who have choosen to abuse alcohol. A negative situation can often be turned into a teaching opportunity...

P.S. I thought you were going to say Jimbo's was a strip club. Lol

Last edited:

P.S. I thought you were going to say Jimbo's was a strip club. Lol
Same here! As long as he wouldn't have had to pay for his own lap dance, all is good. :D

Yeah, I'll second the thought that Jimbo's was a strip club. Chug, you are not too far from me. I am in Coral Springs (Coral Springs Dr and Wiles). We should get together some time. Also, my 14 year old son will be visiting foe a week in June, and he will get to go diving in the ocean for the first time. Got him certified at Devil's Den last year. And really respect you for the beach clean up/ Are you doing the Deerfield Pier clean up June 12th? Plan on attending, will have to call Pavan for the details.

I thought Jimbo's was closed down? Glad to hear it's still there, but didn't they tow out all of the cool funky old busses and cars and boats? I've gone to his last couple of birthday celebrations, so if the place is still there, is he having a bash this year?

I'm positive my parents would have taken me there if I grew up here. Does that make you a bad parent? You know how I turned out. You decide. :rofl3:

It's good he got to see Jimbo's. it won't be there forever.

It's good he got to see Jimbo's. it won't be there forever.

Agreed, while Jimbo's is a S FL institution in my opinion, it seems Dade County thinks otherwise. The same code violations that shut off Jimbo's electricity exist at Bahia Cabana in Fort Lauderdale and nobody says squat.

Jimbo's Place, smoked fIsh, bocce, Virginia Key

Jimbo's Place - Key Biscayne, FL

The official website....
And what some locals think.

It's a very special place.

My favorite time to go is in November, early on Saturday, after a dive, when there are televisions playing college football.

Millionaires, mechanics, and the salt of the earth mingle here.

It is NOT for everyone.

Chug

Likes to go to Jimbo's once in a while.

I love Jimbo's. Glad to hear it's still there. Need to go back before it's bulldozed.

Never heard of it, guess I need to get some S. Florida culture in me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom