So I want to start down the road... (to a cave cert)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm on my last day of a wonderful two week vacation down in the Mexican Caribbean. Spent a great week in Cozumel where I did 10 dives with Aldora, and am just finishing up the 2nd week on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. While here, I did 2 cavern dives with shop I was hooked up with by a friend. It's the small shop right at the entrance to Dos Ojos Cenote. I have no idea what the name is but the guy running it is named Luis. Both dives were at Dos Ojos, and man were they beautiful. I have 200+ dives under my belt in the past 2.5 years, and even with the great diving I had in Coz, I think those two dives in Dos Ojos were some of the neatest dives I've ever done. I almost wish I hadn't brought my camera with me just so I could have just enjoyed the dive more.... anyway, I think you all know where this is heading!

I've been interested in learning cave diving at some point for awhile, but the dives in the cavern in Mexico I think are pushing me along a bit! So I'm asking for advice on what the next steps should be, for someone who lives way away from cave country, and realistically won't be able to make a trip to cave areas more than once, maybe twice, a year. Is it something I should even consider since I won't actually be able to practice much in between classes on vacation? Maybe I should just stick do going on cavern tours when I visit Mexico?

What are some steps I can take to put myself on the road to cave training while I'm in open water? I already have a hogarthian BP/W for singles, with a long hose. I'm thinking I should start by continuing to hone my buoyancy, which isn't bad but I know I'll need the extra precision for cave class. Also, I think I'll start putting away $$ for everything I'll need for the doubles. And the owners of my LDS back home are both tech/cave certified, so I'm sure I can pick their brains on what to do.

Finally, what are some good shops to do training with? I've heard it's better to learn in Florida, simply because the flow makes things more challenging, but are there some recommended outfits in Mexico to learn through?

I thought I had more questions, but can't think of what they were right now, so I guess we'll just start here.

Welcome to the world of the cave addicted diver!

I'll tell you what I did, because I don't think it's a bad path for someone who doesn't live in cave country to take. I started out with GUE Fundamentals, which is the introduction to the "bar" or standard that's required for cave diving, in terms of buoyancy, trim, non-silting propulsion, and situational awareness. I did Fundies in a single tank, and then transitioned into doubles with the help of some experienced friends, and dove them for about six months, and upgraded my Fundies pass to a "tech" pass (which is the level required to go on with training with GUE).

I did a wreck penetration workshop, where I learned to run line and follow it blind, and acquired a profound respect for the problems you cause yourself if you blow out the viz.

I then took the step of doing a cavern class (and Intro with it, as it turned out) -- I think, if you do the other things I mentioned, most people could skip that, but I like to take my training in small pieces.

And finally, I went down and did GUE Cave 1. I can't say enough good things about that class. There was no comparison between the first class I did, and the second. The second was far more thorough, more demanding, and more satisfying. It was some of the best diving instruction I've gotten from ANYONE, in any setting.

Is it worth getting cave certified when you can only make a couple of trips a year? Well, as chickdiver once observed on another board, you will never really be a cave diver. Like me, you'll be a "line following cave tourist". But if you practice your skills diligently at home, I think you can be a competent cave tourist (at least I think I am) and is it worth it? Well . . . you saw Dos Ojos. It only gets better from there.

I made the decision to train in Mexico, because I wanted to be able to focus on cave-specific skills, without the additional challenge of flow. I'm very happy with that decision. I have since done two trips to Florida, and with the help and coaching of some experienced people there, have managed the flow okay. Most of my cave diving trips are to Mexico, simply because I prefer the caves there, so it makes additional sense to me, to do my training where I do most of my diving, and that's why I'm going back down to do Cave 2 this summer.

It's definitely something that grows on you, isn't it :)

From my perspective as a newly certified Basic Cave Diver:

To do it right, it's a long term project. I've been discussing this w/ my cave instructor for 2+ years, getting some basic tips along the way w/ my open water skills and gear configuration. I just finished Basic, he wants 20-40+ dives at that level before we start Apprentice class and then similar amount of dives before Full.

My buddy and I review any proposed dives w/ him to get input and his blessings. Hopefully I'll do Apprentice late in 2009 and then Full in 2010. I live close to Cave Country, we scheduled dives to fit our available times and did a lot more dives than those who take a couple 2-4 day classes, but regardless you will have to dedicate some serious time for this endevour.

There's lots you can work on in open water. W/ Buoyancy, be able to hover horizontally 6" off the bottom w/o moving for a few minutes, while keeping your hands together close to your chest. Practice helicopter turns and back kicks. Frog kick everywhere, you can also practice shuffle and other kicks. Practice buoyancy on safety stops, mid-water, etc. I live on a lake w/ a mud/silt bottom, and I spent lots of time swimming along the bottom trying to not stir up silt. On the flip side, purposely stir up a silt cloud and learn how to deal w/ zero vis.

Get a reel and make some courses on the bottom of your favorite dive site. If you don't have rocks to tie the line to, use concrete blocks or PVC silt stakes pressed into the mud/sand. Once you have a course, practice okaying the line, and swimming along. First eyes open, then eyes closed, then w/o a mask. Learn to feel the line pressure as it runs through your hands to know whether you are rising or falling. Practice running a reel w/ your eyes closed. Foul it up on purpose and learn how to untangle w/ eyes open or closed (or how to wrap line around the outside if it's hopelessly tangled.

Get some books on cave diving and study them. Talk to several instuctors and look to match their personality/training style w/ what you are comfortable with.

Defintely start saving money for gear. Get a can light right now if you don't already have one and start diving w/ it.

Be prepared for some gut checks. It's really neat when things are going right, but when the poop hits the fan, you can't freak yourself out. If you've had some of these things happen for real over the course of your diving career, it gives you more confidence that you'll be able to deal w/ it calmly when in a cave w/ no direct way out.

You aren't going to have much opportunity to cave dive, so you will be at somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to doing cave dives. If you dive 1-2X a year, you'll have to spend some significant time each trip doing refresher dives.

I would highly recommend starting w/ a cavern class, that's the basic foundation for training. Then depending on how that goes, you can decide how far you want to go w/ training.

Good luck w/ your journey,

John

I'm on my last day of a wonderful two week vacation down in the Mexican Caribbean. Spent a great week in Cozumel where I did 10 dives with Aldora, and am just finishing up the 2nd week on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. While here, I did 2 cavern dives with shop I was hooked up with by a friend. It's the small shop right at the entrance to Dos Ojos Cenote. I have no idea what the name is but the guy running it is named Luis. Both dives were at Dos Ojos, and man were they beautiful. I have 200+ dives under my belt in the past 2.5 years, and even with the great diving I had in Coz, I think those two dives in Dos Ojos were some of the neatest dives I've ever done. I almost wish I hadn't brought my camera with me just so I could have just enjoyed the dive more.... anyway, I think you all know where this is heading!

I've been interested in learning cave diving at some point for awhile, but the dives in the cavern in Mexico I think are pushing me along a bit! So I'm asking for advice on what the next steps should be, for someone who lives way away from cave country, and realistically won't be able to make a trip to cave areas more than once, maybe twice, a year. Is it something I should even consider since I won't actually be able to practice much in between classes on vacation? Maybe I should just stick do going on cavern tours when I visit Mexico?

What are some steps I can take to put myself on the road to cave training while I'm in open water? I already have a hogarthian BP/W for singles, with a long hose. I'm thinking I should start by continuing to hone my buoyancy, which isn't bad but I know I'll need the extra precision for cave class. Also, I think I'll start putting away $$ for everything I'll need for the doubles. And the owners of my LDS back home are both tech/cave certified, so I'm sure I can pick their brains on what to do.

Finally, what are some good shops to do training with? I've heard it's better to learn in Florida, simply because the flow makes things more challenging, but are there some recommended outfits in Mexico to learn through?

I thought I had more questions, but can't think of what they were right now, so I guess we'll just start here.

I thoughts are the same as yours. I dove Chac Mool Oct 08 and got hooked.

Well, the first step is going to be a cavern class. You should be familiar with reels and spools and how to use them, good buoyancy & trim and frog kicking. You don't have to be a master or anywhere near it, but they shouldn't be foreign to you either. You should be Advanced, Rescue is even better and Nitrox certified.

As far as equipment goes, in addition to what you listed you will need a primary light (search function is your friend, I've personally addressed this topic a couple times) a backup light, and a reel with at least 200' or so of #24 line. You should probably rethink the doubles unless you plan (need) them at home as you won't be traveling with them, they are readily available in FL or MX and at cavern you don't really need them.

For instructors I recommend Rich Courtney, Jim Wyatt, Larry Green and Johnny Richards (in no particular order). They are all in FL.

In regards to Mexico, I will gladly recommend German Yanez:

Yucatech Expeditions. Instructor Biography.

The website is a bit out of date, but he was highly recommended to me for years and I trained with him this summer. Truly one of the best! :D

Safe diving :D

I think I'll start off with some of Giles's suggestions and start working on some line drills. I have a reel, though I can't remember how long the line is, that I'll start working on line laying drills with. I bought it, but never really carry it around unless I'm diving from a boat which isn't often, and have never really used it.

I frog kick 95% of the time. Back kicking? Uh... that will need some work! :)

I know I wont need doubles for when I do a cavern class, but should I go further, it will be nice to already know how to dive with them. However, I think the next piece of equipment will be a can light, so I'll start looking around at those. Are most cavers still sticking with HID or is there a move towards LED?

I agree with TSandM... Based on where I live, I'll probably be a "cave tourist", and will probably never get to be any more with that unless I move to a place where it's easier (cheaper) to travel to caving areas. I think if I won the lottery and was suddenly independently wealthy, I'd buy a house somewhere along the Riviera Maya for my winter home! :wink: I think I read somewhere that the Mexico caves have more decorations that the Florida caves... is this the case? I see myself traveling to Mexico for diving far more than north Florida, just because of all the other nearby recreational opportunities (Cozumel, ruins, beaches, babes...). Then again I've never really been to north Florida so no offense meant to all those that live there, I'm sure there is also a lot to do there! :wink:

Thanks for all the helpful starting advice.

Sounds like a plan! If your LDS folks are already cave certfied, have them spend a few minutes w/ you showing how to do primary and secondary tie offs. Also, you can do line work on land as well. In fact almost all classes start by doing line work that way. You'll need at least a safety (120-140') reel for cavern and a primary (400'+) reel + safety for basic.

The back kick is not a necessity for cavern, but it does help know different kicks and how/when to use them. The buoyancy, trim and finning should be second nature, so you don't have to think at all about these when cave diving. You have enough task loading (reels, line, buddy, flow, etc.) w/o adding buoyancy.

Taking cavern in doubles is not a bad idea either, if you have the experience w/ them beforehand. I actually did cavern in singles, the other 3 guys in my class were all in doubles. Our class was spread out over ~ 5 months, so I actually got doubles right after cavern and did 10+ dives in doubles before doing Basic. Depending on your situation/experience, you may want more dives than that. I had been diving a BPW for a couple years and was pretty squared away w/ my skills before going to doubles, and I actually found it fairly easy to switch.

As far as lights, lots of opinions out there, but I'm sticking w/ HID today. LED's are just about there or already there depending on who you talk to. I have a Salvo 10W focusable HID. It's significantly brighter than either a DR 10W fixed focus or a Halcyon 10W, but none of these are bad choices. I bought mine used for $375. I would suggest looking at used ones, you should be able to pick up a decent light for $300-400, much better than the $900-$1200 new. Things to look for are the age of the battery and light. Replacing a batter pack will cost you $100-$150. Typically you would like it to have a 4 hr+ burn time. The 10W's NiMH are typically that long, but if you go to a 21W, you have to step up to the larger battery to get that burn time.

John

Just, whatever you do, make sure you have a mentor for the learning process. It's extremely easy to learn very bad habits in handling a reel, if you don't have somebody to show you how to do things properly.

I'd recommend an HID light. I just don't think the LED lights are there yet, in terms of brightness, focus and reliability. You will also need two good, solidly reliable backup lights.

For me, time spent in the caves is limited and precious, so ANYTHING I could learn and practice in OW, I did (and do) so that the time in the caves can be spent either enjoying them, or learning the things you really have to be there to do.

Lots of good advice here.

On a different avenue as far as training goes, NAUI has a pretty nice Cave program and after their Cave 1, a "cave tourist" will have a pretty good toolbox and liberal enough limits to give you a lot of options for a lot of years. I'd recommend doing a combined Intro to Tech/Cavern class first. This will give you the baseline skills needed to really enjoy and be successful in your Cave 1 class and beyond.

Like anything, though, find a good instructor and they will take care of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom