So what about a Whale Shark excursion to Isla Mujeres from Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With the summer months coming up, the warm weather also brings along Whale Sharks to Isla Mujeres. Since making this visit away from Cozumel does indeed require some planning it would be wonderful to get some input from folks who have experienced this event. The questions I have are:

1-How to make the trip in only one day ?
2-How to make the trip with an over night stay?
3-Hotel/Lodging advice in Playa del Carmen, Cancun or Isla Mujeres ? Budget, Moderate or Deluxe ?
4-Ops who charter Whale Shark trips?
5-Transporation from Cozumel to Isla Mujeres ?
6-Any other tips or ideas ?

1-How to make the trip in only one day ? See what is offered.

2-How to make the trip with an over night stay? Stay in the Cancun area or on Isla Mujeres. Subjective

3-Hotel/Lodging advice in Playa del Carmen, Cancun or Isla Mujeres ? Budget, Moderate or Deluxe ? You have dozens of choices. Without some set of requirements and price range here is a map showing hotels

Cancun and Riviera Maya hotel locator

4-Ops who charter Whale Shark trips? onislamujeres.com is a start

5-Transporation from Cozumel to Isla Mujeres ? Ferry to PDC. ADO bus to downtown Cancun bus station then taxi to Gran Puerto (Puerto Juaraez) to catch the ferry to Isla Mujeres if your chosen tour op starts there.

6-Any other tips or ideas ? Do it. It is an awesome experience.

I haven't used them yet, but I am going to use Scorpio Divers this July. Have read good things about them. We are actually flying into Cancun a day early to do the whale sharks before we head over to Cozumel to dive.

But they also do pick ups in Playa del Carmen and I understand you can take the first ferry over from Coz and then Scorpio Divers will pick you up in Playa. So it is possible to do in 1 day. Email them for details. Jorge is great to work with via email.

Scorpio Divers Whalesharks Mexico

Thanks for the advertisement suggestions and general info, however, I am looking for advice, suggestions and recommendations based on personal experience of those who have made the trip.

We are doing it too. I think we are going to overnight so as to take in a little of Isla while were are there. I am interested in reports too. We are probably taking 15 peeps over.
Also as a SB supporter, I don't see the ads. (Everyone should sign up!!)

Check with Cardzard

Two years ago on the Scubaboard Invasion to Cozumel, Cardzard arranged for a one-day excursion for many of us. It was a fabulous experience. I highly recommend it. At one time we were able to count 70 whale sharks that we could see on the surface. Swimming with them is awesome (don't drink the water, tastes like ####)

Scubaboard Invasion is headed back to Cozumel again in 2015. You may want to consider joining us. :thumb:

I did the Whale Shark excursion in one day from Cozumel a few years ago, and have written a couple of long posts on the experience, which I don't feel like repeating. Short version: (1) It's a great experience -do it; (2) The one-day round trip from Coz is a long, grueling ordeal - I recommend an overnight at Isla Mujeres; (3) Snorkeling with the Whale Sharks is NOT like the lazy snorkeling you do on a reef, it's hard work, get in shape.

Back
Top Bottom