So What Is Everyone Doing To Pass Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$250 USD for not wearing a mask? Seems fair to me.

People who still think this is a hoax are going to get others killed.
Sounds reasonable to me as well... Maybe it'll happen, but I doubt it.

Those fines seem stiff but I like the approach. Might be a way to get the kids to stay home. I have talked to several who think this whole thing is a hoax and can't be convinced otherwise. I guess a lifetime of being lied to by politicians and news stations will do that to a person.
I think it is more about social media. Whatever is your opinion you can find an audience and a community of like-minded people:
  • Flat earth society, why not ...
  • Anti-vaxxers sure ...
  • The last one is people who think that 5G masts are the cause for Covid spreading fast
Mast fire probe amid 5G coronavirus claims

I think it is more about social media. Whatever is your opinion you can find an audience and a community of like-minded people:

Yep. No matter how nutty an idea is, with the internet you can find a couple hundred other people that have the same nutty idea and all of a sudden it is genius! We used to have ideas vetted by friends and family that would keep most nuttiness at bay. Now we have an idea and we go see how many others agree. Vetting be damned.

Yep. No matter how nutty an idea is, with the internet you can find a couple hundred other people that have the same nutty idea and all of a sudden it is genius! We used to have ideas vetted by friends and family that would keep most nuttiness at bay.

There is a counter-view that "consensus reality" was actually a byproduct of monopolized mass-media. Nutty is the norm, there just was a short (in historical sense) period when the few who controlled radio and TV convinced most of us that it isn't so.

I don't claim that there weren't issues with a few locally controlled, and large, news organizations (speaking of the US). But I still submit that vetting ideas off of friends and family around dinner tables and at card games of yore, helped tone down some of the more extreme voices that we can readily find today. Or at a bare minimum you had to be committed enough to a cause to get up and go out to protest. Today, you need the commitment of a couch potato to be in the mix.

I don't propose to have a fix. And I wouldn't give up social media. Sometimes minority opinions need a place to get heard and social media is helping there. But there is a price we pay too.

May have a place to go diving. Buddy has access to a small lake. Access is off a coworker's dock. He's dived it before. Just have to see about getting fills. Emailed the shop. They're still doing in store stuff by appt for the time being.

I can feel my hair falling out where the helmet rubs on the sweaty scalp.

Wear a balaclava or buff under the helmet.

There is a counter-view that "consensus reality" was actually a byproduct of monopolized mass-media. Nutty is the norm, there just was a short (in historical sense) period when the few who controlled radio and TV convinced most of us that it isn't so.
It is certainly possible to have consensus leading to, for example, believing irrational things: for example when Galileo was branded a heretic for proposing a model where the earth is rotating around the sun.

I think the difference here is that there seems to be a growing number of people who don’t understand scientific method and theories: i.e. proposing a theory is good, however you should test it using experiments, let it be reviewed by others using scientific method, and accept and/or discuss their results.

It is a bit ironic that the view you mentioned is becoming more mainstream due to groupthink :)

They lo

Joked and laughed at Italy saying it' 'oh it's Italy, won't happen to us....'
It's going to put a lot of strain on EU relationships as northern europe have refused to help Spain and Italy.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom