So what is your excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
I did only 4 dives in the last two weeks. One day I cancelled because the vis was only 70 feet or so....another planned day the water was too warm....another day we pulled up to the site and casted a few times and started catching fish...before I knew it, it was getting dark. Yeah...life's a b***h sometimes. heh heh heh.

70'?!!

I couldn't see my fins yesterday. 8-(

Terry

I began my (second) certification in June 2004 and got an ear infection during the last session of pool work. That put me out of diving for several months and I was able to get certified at the end of August. After that it was too cold around here for me to dive since I can't afford a dry suit.

In March, 2005 I decided to give diving a try again in our 50 degree quarry in a wetsuit. It went fine and I was able to extend my theoretical dive season after learning it was possible to dive in those temps. I also managed to get another ear infection which when it healed I immediately got an ear fungus. That put out of diving again until June and all went well. I have some more dives coming up at the coast next weekend, so that will put at 10 dives, almost a year after certification.

Once I get rolling, I can see that the costs will be inhibiting. It costs me about 30 dollars to rent the tanks and dive the quarry. Going to the NC coast is mega expensive with hotels being 50-200 a night, and the boat dives are priced at 100+ per day.

However, I'm of the opinion that I do this hobby for my pleasure. It's not a race to fill my logbook or get some stupid card that alleges my experience and I can wear it next to my 2 foot long dive knife on my thigh.

My excuses? Don't own my own 7mm and tanks. Getting nitrox fills take prior planning. It's a whole day affair, and my wife wants to do other things too. She doesn't like cold murky mountain water, and neither does my backup-buddy.

I got a whole list of them, but I do my best to ignore my list.

Busy.

I snow ski 20+ days a year and that involves 7 - 8 Race days, plus Race Clinics on 5 weekends. Also two more weekends for Championships (Nor Cal and Far West) so that ties up about 7 weekends (8 this year due to reschedules). In addition I go on one ski week which consumes 2 more weekends. Then there is the Far West Ski Convention one weekend in June. One more weekend for Far West Summer Rules Meeting, and one more for USSA Race Official Training, and at least one for Open League Summer Meeting. I might go skiing "just for fun" one weekend a year. That consumes about 15 weekends a year for skiing related things.

I try to waterski/wakeboard another 6+. That is another 3 - 5 weekends a year at least. The Waterski season kick-off party raises that one more.

Family obligations dictate at least 6 weekends a year for holidays, birthdays, Mother's day etc. Holiday parties for work and clubs might add another one.

Halloween is the most important time of year for me, and that consumes 3 weekends a year with parties, not counting the time necessary for building costumes.

There are other activities done with the various clubs like backpacking, hiking, cycling, sailing, Surfing, kayaking or whitewater rafting. This weekend is a "work weekend" at the cabin at Lake Tahoe. That usually keeps me busy for 3 - 7 weekends a year.

Occasionally I need to mow the lawns, pull the weeds etc. Forget washing any cars.

I try to do a couple dive trips a year, so that ties up 1 - 3 weekends, plus I don't generally dive 3 days before or after a trip, so that means 3 - 6 weekends. I also dive at least a couple weekend days a year.

That ties uproughly 35 - 44 weekends a year, not counting dates or working weekends for urgent projects.

Gee, I guess you are right, I have no excuse for not diving more.

Wristshot

Excuses i have fooled myself with a few, including:
Distance: 2+ hours for any decent cave dives/2.5+ hours for any decent reef dives.
Buddies: spread out over FL (from SB), geting my GF trained at the moment as insta-buddy, so that should change soon.
Time: Have been putting in 60+ hours per week lately, including weekend time behind the desk, then sundays are butchered by attendance at church, so a bunch of weekends are out from all that, also no night diving options in my area and i get out at 7-9pm most nights when i dont feel like doing anything but sleeping (same excuses i have used for working out lately, or lack thereof).
Gear: no i have all i need.
Money: trying to be less flamboyant with cash, so only state parks (annual pass) and beach diving most of the time, leaves me with air, gas and tolls as i crashing on sofa's of other SB members.
Other activities: in my spare time in the mornings and late evenings i have been redoing the garden as well as trying to tend to other activities when its not scorching hot outside.
Weather: been put off cave diving in my DS when its 95F and very sunny out.

Not owning a boat. I make 2-4 dives a week, but shore dives at the same 5 places start to get old. If I would charter a boat it gets to expensive. So I can live with 2-4 a week until the ice forms. I've only made 24 dives so far this year.

Wijbrandus:
My excuses? Don't own my own 7mm and tanks. Getting nitrox fills take prior planning. It's a whole day affair, and my wife wants to do other things too. She doesn't like cold murky mountain water, and neither does my backup-buddy.

What he said. Since I'd only use a 7mm and tanks to dive here in cold murky mountain water which doesn't interest me, I travel to dive. However, do get significantly more than 10 dives a year, thankfully!

<< Once again, it is the beginning of the dive season for most people in the NE. and the question I keep getting asked at the shop is, "how can you dive so much?" >>

Well, it's not just people in the NE. I live on Grand Cayman, and am constantly struck by the large no. of people I meet here (residents) who are "planning to get back into diving real soon" or "just about to take it up." They are considerably more numerous than those who dive regularly. It seems that, if you live on a tropical island, not being an active diver can be a source of some embarrassment, but not enough to actually motivate you to take it up. Hard to say what their reasons are - it's just not a priority, I guess.

I'm just starting with the sport, and bumping into it's incompatibilities with the student lifestyle. Gear (at least the gear I want) is a bit pricey for my budget, plus I don't have a car and the dive clubs and dive shops around me all seem to meet outside of the city for their organized trips. We'll see what I can do as the season picks up. I think I need to work on my dive buddy networking...

Back
Top Bottom