So who're the Solo Divers out there and did you learn anything useful / extra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must avoid A LOT of places...

:shocked2:

Most places don't allow solo diving even with a cert. I once emailed a dive op in Curaçao to asked if they allowed solo diving with a solo c-card...

"Sure as long as your buddy has one too..."

:D

That said, they didn't say anything about me driving away with tanks in my car.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 02:26 PM ----------

Leaving a dive plan with someone elsewhere in case of emergency is really just a way to make sure that your body has a better chance of being recovered.

Yep. RI is my major dive site. I can do all the solo diving I want here in my home state. It works out well because I can rarely afford to go anywhere anyway.

Leaving a dive plan with someone elsewhere in case of emergency is really just a way to make sure that your body has a better chance of being recovered.

Actually, I was hoping that I'll be found ALIVE, floating about in the sea with a BCD that's still working. :D

Actually, I was hoping that I'll be found ALIVE, floating about in the sea with a BCD that's still working. :D

"Hope" is not a great strategy.

I also learned during this class to always carry a mirror. Not just for signaling. I mean how else are you going to do a buddy check, bubble check underwater, and surface gear check without one? You're alone. Your buddy is staring back at you in the mirror. It's also a good time to ask that guy if this dive is a good idea. Now I always have one and find it more and more useful. I recommend it in my wreck class. Nice safe way to check the top of that opening without sticking your whole head into it. I use it to reflect light into some areas.

What mirror do you carry? The one I have would only reflect light at the surface and probably wouldn't be much help checking for bubble leaks and fixing my makeup.
Please advise. Thx.

There are two local dive ops that I frequently use in UAE and they allow me to solo. On my last trip to Lembeh I was allowed to solo the house reef and had steel pony bottle provided for that purpose although I had to bring my own harness to side sling it.

I have found a few places open to solo diving in SE Asia even before I did my Self Reliant course last year.

Did I learn anything new on the course? Well probably not too much but it was good to polish up on various skills and was definitely instrumental in me starting to dive with doubles.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2013 at 04:51 PM ----------

There are two local dive ops that I frequently use in UAE and they allow me to solo. On my last trip to Lembeh I was allowed to solo the house reef and had steel pony bottle provided for that purpose although I had to bring my own harness to side sling it.

I have found a few places open to solo diving in SE Asia even before I did my Self Reliant course last year.

Did I learn anything new on the course? Well probably not too much but it was good to polish up on various skills and was definitely instrumental in me starting to dive with doubles.

Oh just one more point, PADI require a minimum of 100 dives before doing the solo course, what are SDI's standards?

What's a solo card :wink: ???

I go to the shore, often nobody is there, or within miles of being there.
I put on my gear.
I dive.
I climb out of the water with a huge smile.
Still nobody on shore.
Throw my gear in the truck and drive home.
Since 1976.....

Did I really need a card for any of this??

(PS: I have nothing against "solo" training and cards, just remained puzzled about them :blinking: ).

Best wishes.

I was totally in the same mindset until one incident happened that made me thankful I had a buddy. The solo course is good only for the opportunities it gives you (live-aboard, or resort allowance). I took the course (with RJP above) and have the card. A buddy, however, is irreplaceable.

What mirror do you carry? The one I have would only reflect light at the surface and probably wouldn't be much help checking for bubble leaks and fixing my makeup.
Please advise. Thx.

I actually carry two. This one from MAKO which is my favorite as it's always on the back of my hand : MAKO GoPro Status Mirror

And this one that has both red and standard sides. For a solo diver, or any diver really.
Signal Mirror discounts on sale Trident

I like this one since it has the red side. A white flash from the actual standard mirror side could be interpreted as a reflection off a wave top. A red flash however is not natural. During the day or at night. Hit the red side at night with a light or in combination with the light and you have a pretty much unmistakable signal from a man made object.

In combination these two really complement each other. The signal mirror can be kept in a pocket for emergencies and that initial check. The back of the hand mirror can be used throughout the dive.

"Hope" is not a great strategy.

What I meant was I hope to be found alive if I didn't call to check in at the appointed time and my friends sent some help to that location.

---------- Post added December 1st, 2013 at 05:57 PM ----------

Oh just one more point, PADI require a minimum of 100 dives before doing the solo course, what are SDI's standards?

100 as well.

100 as well.

Better update your profile then :wink:

Back
Top Bottom