So why did you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I wonder if that swimming ability thread still exist because that was my first post when I was scared about the swimming test.

I wanted to go to the Boy Scout Florida Sea-base camp. My parents then told me they would send me once i got my eagle scout. and then i saw a photo shoot Skin Diver magazine and was hooked. Took my OW class and started working in a Dive Shop, been hooked ever since

Stories from my dad and uncles who are divers. Ever since they told me what a night dive was like; I wanted to scuba dive.

Because the local shop had a 2 for 1 special!

Actually, I had been thinking about diving for a while after I took care of a patient who was a dive instructor. He invited me down to Mexico for some diving, but the person I was involved with at the time wouldn't even consider it. She was too claustrophobic. I tried, but could never talk her into it. Then the next relationship was with someone allergic to latex. We did some research on non-latex gear and suits but didn't find much. Finally, I met someone who I ended up marrying. A few months into our marriage we were flipping through an Entertainment Book and found a 2 for 1 coupon. I told her I had been wanting to try it out for a few years, but never had the opportunity. She told me she had done a Discover Dive in Mexico but couldn't convince her then S.O. to get certified. We researched the shops, went with the 2 for 1, and now we teach and dive caves.

Just like Johnny, Jacques gave me my first look into the undersea world. My only regret is that I didn't follow his lead at a younger age. Regardless, I eventually did become certified and have never regretted it!

well my opa wanted me to do some work on his mooring, so he decided to pay for my certification. Too bad he decided to do it while on vacation in the caribean:)!

I had just returned from a business trip to Honolulu. It looked like something I wanted to check out; an itch to be scratched.

Found an instructor who actually knew how to teach and started. Just about quit during the pool sessions. I DID NOT like being underwater. He told me to hang in there for one more session.

In that session all our gear was put on the bottom of the deep end of the pool. We had to go, get it, and correctly don it without surfacing. I did and everything clicked. Wonderful.

Certified Thanksgiving weekend 1999 in the blowing snow of Valdez, Alaska in 27F air temp and 43F, at depth, water temp wearing a "semi-dry"(slower water exchange they claim). As I stood on the shore before Dive 1 I wondered what in the he** I was doing there. But by dive two was hooked big time.

My buddy was a high school student and we had a Ball. We especially had fun on the Lost Diver Drill when we had to find the diver, recover him, tow to shore doing rescue breathing, etc, do CPR and manage the shore scene.

I grew up reading tons of "Animal Encyclopedia" and other nature books. I read them so often, I had the pictures and notations memorized. Then I came across, 20,000 leagues beneath the sea, and my GI Joe days (yep, I had the scuba one, with boat and teeny little dive knife ... a shark also came with it). Ontop of all that, we (me and my parents) would go to florida each and every year. There I was, out in the surf, digging through shells and looking in the crevices of the jetties ... wading out in the bay ... and even wondering what the deeper side of the jetties would hold. I was too young then to really consider diving. Then I got older and the idea hit me ... (only took about 2 decades!) and here I am today. :)

Martial arts. Huh?

I was teaching martial arts with a friend in North Carolina. I kept folks in the dojo talk about some quarry. So after I finally asked what that was about, I ran up to the quarry that my friend's father owned. Back then, the quarry was open to the public for swimming and general fun & games. It was a favorite swimming hole for the 82nd Airborne.

During my first visit, there was a Rescue Diver class in progress. The class brought the victim up from inside a bus on the far side of the quarry, brought him all the way across (about 150 yards) and hauled him up onto the dock. We were laughing like fools watching them haul this guy who was about 275 pounds and playing thoroughly incapable of assisting. That's when I found out that my co-instructor's father owned the shop.

I just had to do this. Nowadays, I'm retired from teaching people to kick and now teaching people to...well, kick too.

Couldn't stand not being under water. Good family activity (my wife and son took OW with me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom