So you’ve completed your OW Scuba Certification….now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So you’ve completed your OW Scuba Certification….now what? (Short or Extended Version)
This popular briefing is a summary of the final advice I give to all of my OW Scuba Certification Course graduates. The summary includes what I consider to be valuable advice concerning: future diving, training, risk management and gear acquisition. I am publishing a short and long version of this briefing. The long version contains more detail, humor and a story. Choose your poison -
Short version:

Extended Version:

I was about to say what about Deep Diver? Looked back at my logbook and was surprised to only have 2 dives in between OW and my AOW, could have sworn it was more

I was about to say what about Deep Diver? Looked back at my logbook and was surprised to only have 2 dives in between OW and my AOW, could have sworn it was more
Seems a growing trend is to limit recreational divers to 30m unless they have a Deep Diver Specialty (in printed standards, anyway). In the case that someone has AOW training that did not exceed depths of 26-30m, some deep diving experience/instruction may be useful. In my AOW course, we do a lot of deep diving, so I've never personally had occasion to write the Deep Diver card...YMMV

Just dive a lot, if you can, you'll gradually notice you're using less air, and you're more relaxed. Then after about 25 dives take AOW, and around 50, take Rescue. Many will say do it earlier, which is fine, but I don't think I'd have gotten as much out of either course if I was really new and my tank didn't last as long as everyone else's. Which increases your stress level. Which makes you use air faster. Which will increase your stress level....

Soo, you completed OW and what's next, you ask. First, check your credit report. Try to get you score up so you can get cheap credit cards to use for your equipment purchases and classes. Tell all of your friends that any gifts they give you should be diving related, even if you really need new tires and brakes for your car. Cash in your bar mitzvah bonds, sell the coins your grandmother gave you for your 6th birthday, you will need the cash. Start scanning Craigslist for cheap used gear, and decide what you own that you could barter for a 40 year old steel 72.

Just remember, you are now one of us....one of us....one of us.....hahahahahaha!

I am very much a newbie. Started on nov 3rd, got hooked up and certified on nov 20th. As soon as I realized I was in it for good, I started to plan:
1- Get enough knowledge and advice to buy my own gear except lead and cylinder.
2- Plan for the future. I am lucky enough to be able to dive almost everyday (not the entire days).
3- I figured that after OW and around 10 dives, I would need specialty courses in this mid-term plan:
i) Perfect buoyancy
ii) Science of diving
iii) React right
iv) Deep diving
v) Orientation
vi) Tides, currents,...
vii) Stress and Rescue
And in between courses, dive, dive, dive.
I have 20 dives under my belt now and made my list to React right. What matters for me is have more and more experiences and once I believe that I have used and have good (not master) control, I go to the next level. My wife who started with me always complain that I spend too much time on my gauges, computer and thinking instead of enjoying. Well, I will have all the time to enjoy the scenery when I will really be a responsible diver. Everyone has its own goals, expectations and rythm, I guess.

First class after OW should be Rescue.
Which agency allows that?

At least PADI requires AOW to start Rescue. In CMAS, the second tier after 1* (more or less equivalent to PADI OW) is 2*, which basically is AOW plus "rescue light".

Which agency allows that?

At least PADI requires AOW to start Rescue. In CMAS, the second tier after 1* (more or less equivalent to PADI OW) is 2*, which basically is AOW plus "rescue light".
PADI requires only Adventure Diver including NAV dive. That changed years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom