So....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 150 while spearfishing under an oil rig.

ArcticDiver:
If memory serves weren't most of the dives in the books about the Andrea Doria solo dives? Some were solo from the surface and some from some point when they reached the hull?

The guy(Cathay/China? Airlines Captain) diving the hole in South Africa were down deeper than 300', 320' I think, on rebreather. First dive worked well. But he bought it on the second dive which was an attempt to set some kind of body recovery on rebreather record.

Meters, not feet, but otherwise you've got it about right.

CDNN article on David Shaw:

http://tinyurl.com/2pgwyx

ArcticDiver:
Interestingly on a recent flight I was seated next to one of his fellow Captains who was on his way home to Canada for his time off. It was interesting hearing his take on the other Captain's personality and attitude and how it affected his work as an airline Captain.

The psychology behind some diving accidents fascinates me, too. I haven't seen enough information on this one to draw conclusions about the people involved. Perhaps a "groupthink" begins to move people like a strong tide....

ArcticDiver:
Even with all this I too have a problem with a question like this. To me depth is something that is needed to see what I want to see or to accomplish a particular mission. It is not some goal to achieve to prove how macho/macha a person is.

Agree.

Like many people, I enjoy accomplishment and recognition, but I always remind myself how dangerous it can be when thoughts of impressing others gets into my diving decisions.

My deepest solo dive was..... nevermind.... :D

Evidence of personality profile is one of the things I look for in scuba diving accident analysis, especially when highly experienced divers make mistakes.

Narcissism in high achievers is a particularly deadly mix probably.

That means I'm going to be pretty safe, in my humble opinion.... :)

Dave C

Dave4868 is correct, the depth of Mr. Shaw's dive was pushing 900' with a rebreather. The account of the dive is absolutely awesome, to put it mildly. What a man, what a vision, and what a mission.

Dark Wolf

dave4868:
Meters, not feet, but otherwise you've got it about right.

Dave C

Right number wrong system, eh?

He joins the crowd of people who risked it all to satisfy their inner self. Many of my friends and peers are people just like that, but in other endeavors. Some die of old age; but most are spared that awful fate.

Hey, ArcticDiver, back when I was in college, 30 was considered old age (you couldn't trust anyone that old). Now that I've almost doubled that lifespan, 90 doesn't sound too old... as long as I can still dive! I think JYC was doing it at nearly 87.

The calendar has little to do with Old Age. May you have many years of activity and never have to suffer it.

MikeFerrara:
I don't dive to any depth where I don't think I'm capable with or without a buddy. In other words, whether I am alone or not has no bearing on what depth I'll dive.

Bill expressed revervations about saying what his deepest was. I don't have any reservations. LOL, I'm just not saying. I'll say this much...I wasn't breathing air.

I hear ya...I feel the same way. If I can't dive it solo I should not be there with a buddy.

I don't think anyone cares if one chooses to keep depths to themselves.

My max solo depth was 150' w/air for backgas.

I will never forget a post by Curt Bowen years ago who said he would never dive deeper than 300 or 350' without a buddy. I forget the exact number but it was at least 300'. Ha ha - awesome....

--Matt

I don't like to go over the 80-90' feet but on ocassion I will find myself in the 110-120 foot range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom