SoCal Dive Reports - Let us know about your dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10/23/15
Aboard the Spectre to Anacapa Island
Water temps: don't think anything was below 70F, but I don't really pay too much attention to temps

Eastern half of Cathedral Cove: Quite surgey all day here and the other 2 spots. Visibility was good - 40+ but decreased by the end of the dive. Boat was about 3/4 full, so there was a good bit of churn around the reefs. LOTS of fish. A couple times we stopped just to look up and watch just to have that immersed better-than-an-aquarium like feeling. Spotted a seal cruise by. Watched a Cormorant swimming down around 25' chasing some fish -- that was cool. Spotted lobster, but they were hard to find. There were a bunch of babies, which I've not seen them that small before, so again, another bonus for the day. Current wasn't that bad even after it was claimed that it was "rippin".

Portuguese Rock: The swim through on the eastern rock that spits into Pelican bay was filled in. Spotted lobsters and ones stuck in pots. Saw a bunch of sea hares on a mound of eggs. Less surge, but the 45+ visibility had eroded by the end of our 50 minute dive since the wind had picked up at the surface.

Zebra Cove: After lunch, I was not impressed to see that we'd ended up here, because I've been there a couple times already in my short diving life, and it's nothing but some kelp, brittle stars, and some random fish. Nothing fantastic to see there. Man, I wish I had a camera this time. Dropped under the boat. Headed northwest, and before we reached the rocks, spotted a bat ray swimming right in front. Then spotted a couple lobsters that, if I had my card, I'd have had lobster for dinner last night!!! Dammit! Then, a very lucky sighting...I was just swimming past rocks, looking in holes as I went. Went past a bunch that I didn't even bother with, but this one looked like there was a tail. And, it was spotted. Leopard shark! I have no idea how he got in there or where he exited from, but he was tucked up in there. And, as I was looking for his exit, I spotted another lobster, and as I was playing with that guy, out pops you know who! Mr. California Mooray Eel. Wow - I was impressed! Coaxed him out a little to have a nice stare down with him. Back onto the boat, and I found out someone had spotted an octopus.

Guess I can't look down on Zebra Cove from now on!Another great day on the Spectre with Capt. Nate, Ian, Chuck, and Chris!

Aboard the "Magician" to Catalina Island. We dove at three sites on the leeward side of the island, north of Two Harbors: Indian Rock, Big Geigers Reef, and Eel Cove. Winds were near zero. Calm two-hour ride from San Pedro marina to the island. Visibility was excellent, ranging from 30 feet to further. (I don't have much experience with gauging visibility.) The captain did find a small bit of kelp for us to see, but there was very little. Most of the sea floor was rocky, covered with golden colored growth, with heaps of fish. Water temperature was an unseasonably warm 72 degrees F. I was very comfortable in a full 7mm wet suit and 7mm booties, without a hood or gloves.

My video of the day's diving is at https://youtu.be/5NPHRNyrznE

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Palos Verdes, November 20, 2015
With Dive Master Zen in attendance, I dove old Marineland (now Terranea) for the first time in 15+ years. With days of offshore winds, the visibility was phenomenal. Never less than 25-30 feet, and extending in some areas out to 80 feet, it was almost like being in the tropics right here in Southern California.

Much has changed at this dive site since I was last here. It used to be desolate and picturesque, with a few broken down buildings and a great view. What a difference several million dollars worth of development makes! We now have a luxury resort which preserves the beach access, and includes a clean bathroom, a free shower, and well-heeled guests who stare curiously at the scruffy diver lugging a tank past the golf course. The walk is longer now than before, but not bad.

I entered from the cobblestone beach – not bad, at least today – and surface swam most of the way to the point before going down.

I wore a wetsuit and no hood. The water temperature was 62 degrees at depth.

I used an out and back compass course, and got into 60 feet of water before I about faced. To my right was decent kelp – not luxurious, but better than the Northern beaches – to my left was a vista of white sand disappearing into blueness. There were ling cod, garibaldi, and a sheephead as big as my son.

I surfaced at 500 PSI and otter kicked back.

I will definitely be back.

Last edited:
The walk is a bit longer, but the trails are nicer and it is REALLY nice having a shower and restroom midway to the parking lot. It's even nicer than the hose I put there in 1987 next to the "bathroom" ivy and palm trees.

Dive Site: Anacapa Island Dove off the Spectre Dive Boat Welcome to Calboat Diving (866) 225-3483
Date: April 2, 2016
Conditions: Visibility was off about 10-15 ft. Spring conditions lots of plankton in the water
Water Temp: 56
Visibility: 10-15
Dive Buddys: Solo
Comments: Did 2 dives off the East end of Anacapa First dive site was Goldfish Bowl. Second was White Cliffs. Typical spring diving. Green water with lots of plankton. Most of the boat was students from 3 different OPs and all the dives were very shallow 25 ft. max.

A short report from the folks who went out on the Giant Stride today. We dove the Olympic II wreck, Point Vicente, and Hawthorne Reef. It's hard to say which dive was better as the wreck was awesome with 20-30' viz and the ample structure at Hawthorne Reef covered with marine life both taking the cake as highpoints.

I'll get some pics/video out over the weekend with move details to follow. We saw very little sargassum, coupled with kelp on the rebound, so let's hope, and the PV reefs are still cold, 50F.

Check this out: we met at the boat at 6AM, did three dives at three different sites and were back at the dock by 2:15PM, (I was home by 3:45) on a Friday kickoff to a Holiday Weekend.

J. Reeb

How is the diving latetey at Shaws Cove and LaJolla Cove. Any vis reports? Hoping to go next week.

Back
Top Bottom