SoCal Dive Reports - Let us know about your dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Report: Divers Cove Laguna Beach 9-18-16

The swell was up from yesterday with 1-2' faces rolling in but the lulls were pronounced and entries/exits were easy.

We swam on the surface untill we were about 75 meters directly out from the cliff top apartment building, and dropped down. Kicking in a Southwest direction quickly brought us to the reef.

I really enjoy this spot. Its easy to navigate, has a variety of slots and canyons for exploring and holds kelp on the perimeter. On really good viz days its hard to beat it for the juxtaposition of the reef and the sunlit white sand along its outer fringes. We often do it as a second dive after Heisler Park.

Viz today was 10'-15'.

Divemetrics: 44mins, 39' 63F

J. Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers

Dive Report: Heisler Park, Laguna Beach 9-17-16

Surface conditions were perfect, postcard day at the Beach.
Did the whole West pinnacle including the canyon and the island. Viz 15-20' with a light surge. No current on the reef.
Lots of fish out, we were getting photo bombed by the male sheepshead. Tomorrow looks good too. The kelp is coming back on the outer fringes of the reef which made for the highlight of the dive.

Divemetrics: 87mins, 51', 56F.

J. Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers

Dive Site: Avalon Dive Park
Date:9/29/2016
Conditions: Poor viz, Choppy. Uncrowded. Beautiful day topside.
Temp:58F at 70ft
Visibility:15-20
Dive Buddys: solo

Comments:
A lot of dying kelp and sargassem plant particulates really yucked up the place. Disappointing viz for Fall.

Giant Sea Bass still hanging around 65ft where killer thermocline goes from mid 60s to 58F in the blink of an eye. GSB quite unconcerned re. my presence. At least six giants just milling around.

Avalon Dive Park
10/6/2016
Poor viz...cold 59f at depth
Viz15-20

Relatively poor viz esp for Fall. Kelp etc dying and breaking up..plankton and particulates seems heavy. Warm El Nino definately past as water is cold and thermocline back to 'normal'. Need gloves and hood.

However, at least a dozen Giant Sea Bass hanging out at 60ft...calmly milling around.

Watch "Giant Sea Bass Catalina Island" on YouTube

A video of GSB and meh viz. 10/6/2016

Dive Report: Heisler Park, Columbus Day 2016 8:00 AM

Hooked up with Moe to dive HP on a rare weekday off. Surface conditions were near Lake Laguna although there was a lazy 1.5' surface swell stirring up the near shore bottom.

Out on the reef conditions were good, viz 20' with spots to 25+', the water column was hazy. No surge below 20'. There is some sargussam popping up in the shallow areas, but it seems much reduced from last year.

We traveled to the very outer fringes of the reef and traversed East along the Southern border. Healthy kelp topped reef on our left, white sand stretching all the way to Catalina on our right. The reef tops were charged with schools of Blacksmiths and Moe attracted a posse of Sheephead as we kicked along. This outer area has become my favorite part of HP, as it tends to generate that feeling of a place less traveled.

People sometimes remark to me that "...you always dive Heisler." Lately, that has been the case. It seems the more I dive it, the more terrain I uncover, so it continues to hold my fascination.

Video clip: Instagram video by J. Reeb • Oct 11, 2016 at 2:54am UTC

Divemetrics: 80min, 51' max, 58F.

cleardot.gif

J. Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers

Dive Report Heisler Park, 10-22-16

Well...I dive allot of mornings when it probably makes more sense to roll over and sleep in. Saturday morning, ...was not one of those times to roll over.

Laguna was a picture perfect postcard; sunny, warm, no wind, soft swell, viz everywhere to 30+'.

Frank and I made it out to the very end of the reef and located the thumb shaped feature I observed on our last dive. In this area the kelp looks green and healthy, not yellow and disintegrating like closer to shore.

Unfortunately, Sargassum is appearing on the North face of the near shore reef.

On the way back to the beach in 20' of water I spotted two 9-10" abalone in a crevice. They looked bigger than most I've seen and appeared healthy. I've read reports of abs spending 10 years in the same spot, so we'll look for those two again.

Video : Instagram video by J. Reeb • Oct 23, 2016 at 2:10am UTC

Divemetrics: 81mins, 52', 62F.

J. Reeb
Darkthirtydivers@gmail.com

Dive Report: Shaw's Cove
Date: 11/03/2016 1300 hrs
Conditions: Excellent, Calm 1ft surf, mild surge. Mild Santa Ana wind... fyi..... ( FORECAST IS FOR SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASING SURF)
Viz 20-25
Temp 64F
Solo
Max. depth 24ft

Dove the "Tunnels" or trenchs or passes that are usually too surgey. They are full of life from that water flow. Saw most of the usual suspects, including an abalone.

Missing my California diving! Hope to be back out there soon! But, Cozumel calls first! Keep the dive reports coming.

What's going on here? My previous post was the last one to this thread, and that was nearly a year ago! A year ago, I hadn't even moved back to CA yet! Geez...

Anyway...dove Leo Carillo this morning. Easy entry. Calm seas. Visibility was not so good. No more than 15'. Water temp was about 58F, I think. Saw a good amount of life. Usual fish. Good amount of decent sized lobsters! Saw a HUGE sheep crab! Spotted two Spanish Shawl nudis. I didn't take my GoPro, but wish I had. Will have to post the vid/pics from my dive buddy, because we saw something that neither of us know what it was. It was completely translucent. Looked like a clear sea cucumber. We had a little over 60 minutes of bottom time. Great morning could have been better if the clouds had cleared and sun came out. Maybe tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom