SoCal Dive Reports - Let us know about your dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually in the Spring to late Summer, with August being the biggest month. There are at least two dozen year-round residents at Hermosa Beach Artificial Reef.
48870628973_eb960ba5cc_b.jpg

48689392667_b2d18eb693_b.jpg

When do people normally start seeing wreckfish at the dive park? Is it generally seasonal?

We've been seeing solitary ones through the winter but groups started appearing in late Feb/early Mar this year... just in time for the dive park to be closed!

Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach is now open for diving! The Viz was probably 10 ft and no waves to speak of so entry / exit was easy. I took my Dive-X Blacktip dpv to make any easy trip out to the Redondo Canyon and was not disappointed. Tuna Crabs, AKA Red Pelagic Crabs, were everywhere. Starting from the edge of the Canyon just North of steps from 50 to at least 85ft, thousands and thousands of crabs carpeting the bottom. It probably took 5 minutes of scootering NW around the lip of the canyon before I stopped seeing them. I have seen videos of them on night dives and they appear to be very active then. Not sure how much longer they will be around though......

@tdmp How was the parking situation? I understand the lot is still closed; did you have to walk far?

The parking lot was open. On the Redondo Beach city website, it is not "officially" open yet but all the signs / barriers were gone so I am hoping it will stay open now. The showers / restrooms by the water were also open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom