SoCal diver died lobster hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just heard of a diver Richard Giles, dying in a scuba accident while lobster hunting, last weekend. Does anybody have any details? These types of accidents do not appear (to my knowledge) to be frequent in SoCal waters so I am wondering why there is nothing in the news...

My condolences to the diver's family

I knew Rich. I thought it must be someone else when I read this, but I just checked his Facebook page and indeed he passed away. My condolences to his family and his many friends.

I'm just hearing about this, ugh :( RIP Richard. Prayers, condolences to the Giles. I have a nice story to share, when the time is appropriate. Bless

I just heard of a diver Richard Giles, dying in a scuba accident while lobster hunting, last weekend. Does anybody have any details? These types of accidents do not appear (to my knowledge) to be frequent in SoCal waters so I am wondering why there is nothing in the news...

My condolences to the diver's family
Rich was a very experienced diver.So sad,the Giles family appreciates all the prayers.

I am close to Rich's family and this is what I know. Rich and a buddy were lobster diving off of dockwieler beach. There is a pipeline that runs out with structure underneath it. They became separated in the structure while hunting. Some how Rich ended up getting stuck in the structure and wasn't able to surface. The buddy went for help and a few hours later his body was found.

I think that in respect to the grieving family we shall wait to discuss details. Sounds like a freak accident and apparently this was a nice gentleman and a diver who had some bad luck. Everyone that knew him had only the kindest words to say. I also know that he was a volunteer diver at the Aquarium of the Pacific and an active member of the diving community.

What surprised me is that the story never made the news and this is why I brought it up here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom