socaldiver-winter diving in KY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
wouldn't mind doing some diving while you're in the area however it wouldn't be anything like what you are use to. The quarries have stuff to see. The lakes not so much to see. Laurel lake is at the south edge of Ky while your family is at the northern tip--ie a long drive. Water will probably be mid 30's to low 40's at depth. May not be much warmer near the surface. Most of the quarries will be closed but some will open if enough people will show up that day.

I live about 90 miles from Covington.(south south east)

Is Dixie chili the same as Empress chili--Cinncinatti's favorite chili since 1922. I found one of those on the way up to that area. Haven't stopped there so don't know anything about it.

Have heard of Gliers goetta but have not had any. But in this rural and very small town we don't get much of a selection.

jbd,

You down in the Maysville area then, huh? Or closer to the gorge?

30 to 40 degrees? Only have my 7 mil wet, not interested in going dry at this time. Humph! Maybe I will just have to dive the Ohio :wink: .

Dixie chili, Empress and Skyline all have their own unique taste. I actually prefer Empress over the other 2 but can't get it online. Dixie is cheaper than Skyline (online).

LD, aren't you glad you got away from there? Now you can dive the big swimming pools. Although I would love to go back and dive the Great Lakes. Need to do the drysuit thing first though for that.

Newport has an aquarium now that youy can "volunteer" to dive in, only problem they want a 6 month contract and I will only be there for about 6 days.

Oh well. jbd I will give you a shout when I'm coming back and we can check out the conditions.

Yes.....giving up "Cincinnati-style" chili is a small price to pay for being on the coast.

SCD -- diving in OH river...could be fun except for all the 2 headed fish, heavy metals and silt.....

jbd -- that's beautiful country down there.

-LD

Hey folks,

I am in Lexington and I am always looking for people to dive with on the weekends. If any of you locals are interested let me know.

Chad

LD,

Not only the 2 headed species but the other deformed varieties as well. My son caught a 10 lb cat up near the dam above Cincy and he was telling me that it had bumps and growths all over it. Looked like it went thru a whole forest full of ugly sticks. It was so ugly it looked like a celiphane bag full of mashed a**holes, you know what I mean :wink: .

ckharlan, I'm not in your area but my family is so when I visit the Cincy area I will let you know. You are only an hour away.

7mm should be plenty especially if its a farmer john with shorty. Shouldn't let a little :cold: keep us from having some fun :D Have you dove the Ohio River? I figure its the closest thing to drift diving I'll get in this area.

I guess my next trip up to Alexandria should include a stop at the place that has Empress chili.

I live near Carlisle which is more in the direction of the gorge from Cincy area. Do let me know when you plan to get in the area and we'll try to put something together.

large_diver yes it is pretty but its not much for diving. I don't mind the quarries and lakes but its a long way to Florida and other points south. One thing I found is that here you need an objective other than sight seeing. One of the more interesting dives recently was looking for a sunken sailboat to salvage. Water was 55'. Viz was absolute zero. I put my console up against my mask and couldn't tell it was there. There was also a decent current there that day.

ckharlan66--Whereabouts in Lexington? I would like to get together with you. Where do you dive locally? I'm thinking about diving at Falling Rock on Friday. It would be a daytime dive if I go. Is this something you could do?

jbd,

I live near richmond road.

I normally dive at falling rock. I have only been certified for a few months so I only have about 10 dives in but I have been trying to go as much as possible.

I will have to check at work and see and I will let you know if I can get off or not.

I am suppose to have a new bcd at the LDS that I need to try out.

Chad

Sounds good to me ckharlan66. Which dive shop are you using in Lexington?

Have you dove at Laurel lake? Also my daughter is doing her certifiacation dives on Sept 8th & 9th. Probably at Blue Springs I plan to do some diving that weekend while I'm up there waiting on her. You are welcome to join me.

jbd,

The only shop I can find in Lexington is New Horizons. One other has a sign up but I have never seen them actually open.

No, I havn't been to anyplace but Falling Rock and Mermet Springs down in Metropolis Ill. I don't know if I can make it but I will check on that too.

By the way, how long have you been diving and where is Blue Spings.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom