Soccoro Temps In January ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladiver33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi! Getting ready for our first Socorro trip at the end end of the month. Seems to be wildly conflicting information about air and sea temperatures for January.

Curious if anyone has been during the month of January. My wife and I tend to run cold on dives. Want to bring warm clothes but if it's 80+ and sunny on the boat, we might not have to?

Appreciate any insight and info

(And yes, we are aware of the housing tax!)

Just returned from Socorro (11/25 to 12/4). Air temps were mid to upper 70's in sun and clouds (a little light rain). Water temps generally upper 70's (as low as 75 in places). Crossings were rough. For January I would expect a little cooler. A light jacket is needed at night outside. Diving was spectacular.

Just returned from Socorro (11/25 to 12/4). Air temps were mid to upper 70's in sun and clouds (a little light rain). Water temps generally upper 70's (as low as 75 in places). Crossings were rough. For January I would expect a little cooler. A light jacket is needed at night outside. Diving was spectacular.

That sounds like what we expected! Seems a lot of the companies are intentionally vague as to the temps in Dec and Jan! Appreciate it!

Although 5mm full wetsuit would be sufficient for that water temperatures, after 2 days of 4 dives/day, my core body temperature tends to drop and I start getting a bit chilly. It was nice to have a dry liner (rash guard & underwear) instead of a cold wet ones for the next dives. So my next trip there in May 2021, I plan to be carrying 4 sets of pair of socks, Under Armour underwears and rash guards. Wear each set under my wetsuit & booties, rinse / wash them after each dives, hang them to dry for their next turn of use. By doing this round robin way, each set has time to dry or getting worn once a day when we do 4 dives / day.

I did this way when I was in Banda Sea, Indonesia with exactly at the same water temperature of 75-79F. It worked well. Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

Although 5mm full wetsuit would be sufficient for that water temperatures, after 2 days of 4 dives/day, my core body temperature tends to drop and I start getting a bit chilly..

Yup! I think we are going to do 7mm with lavacore and hoods and some nice dry toasty clothes for topside. Just a 5mm won't cut it

Forgot to mention that I always bring hood and 2mm shorty to put over my 5mm full wetsuit just in case.

Solmar lists temperatures in their trip reports. The most recent is 11/24-12/2/2019. Trip Reports - Solmar

Maybe they'll post a more recent one B4 you go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom