Socorro in Jan? Casiopeia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I am trying to pick the next liveaboard spot. It will be ideal to see big marine creatures (whale shark, oceanic mantas, humpback). I first considered Galapagos. It appears to be water temp. is too cold for whale shark season and current can be strong. Someone recommended Socorro.
Logistics:
Fairly short flight from where I live to SJD (compare to Galapagos, Maldives, Red sea, Asia). How do you get to Cabo San Lucas? Maybe liveaboard operator come and pick you up with fee?
Marine Life:
How is the chance to see whale shark, humpback if you have been there in recent years? Maybe too many boats in Jan - Feb shy them away?
Current:
I am not very comfortable with strong current. Most recent dive in Shot Gun, Komodo. I struggled. Years ago I was diving at Gordon Rock, Galapagos, on a mild day and Palau. Curious to know what to expect in terms of current in Socorro.
Prep:
I have open water with 100+ logs. Reco for any course? Advanced course helps? I usually dive in warm water. I bought 5 mm this year for south Komodo. My buoyancy was massed up at the safety stop, my body wanted to float so my guide pulled me down.
Buy good fins for current? What is your recommendation? I am a female, a good swimmer but with weak ankles:(.
Casiopeia good operator?
Lastly, any one heard of Casiopeia? The boat looks nice. I was not able to find any reviews.
Many questions. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

Socorro is a great recommendation for January, it's a fantastic destination at that time of year. To answer your queries:

Marine Life - The whale sharks arrive Nov/Dec and there are also plenty of humpbacks through the winter. The giant manta rays are there all year. I've been through our reviews for each of the liveaboards that go to Socorro and they're all excellent and mention numerous mantas etc. We publish both positive and negative reviews, so they should give you an honest overview of the diving there. You can read them yourself on each liveaboard page, from the Socorro Liveabord Diving page.

Logistics - The closest international airport to Cabo San Lucas is Los Cabos International Airport and there are airport shuttles (and taxis, which are more expensive) to Cabo San Lucas. It might be possible to be picked up by the operator depending on who you go with. Let me know if decide on an operator and would like me to find out.

Current - There can be strong currents and big waves at Socorro. Some operators ask for 50+ logged dives and others only require OW and no minimum logged dives. All of the vessels would be fine with your logged dives but you can choose a vessel that suits your experience level to make sure you're comfortable with the diving, which is what I do as I get nervous in currents. The Rocio del Mar and Quino el Guardian don't require any logged dives, so I suggest looking at them first. Also, the Socorro Vortex has 20% Off January departures at the moment.

Prep - There is a thread all about which fins are good for current diving here. A couple of advanced courses to consider are PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy (which is really helpful, one of my favourites) and maybe Drift Diver to help with currents. You don't need to do either for this trip but they're an option to help with confidence.

Let me know if you'd like any more information. You can check out the individual islands and dive sites of Socorro on our Scuba Diving in Socorro page.

Enjoy your trip planning!

Thanks,

Kathryn

My buddy dove with Rocio a few years ago - you have to get to the boat which I believe is in a marina in San Jose Del Cabo - not Cabo San Lucas. Either expensive taxi or Collecitvo (shuttle) Rocio has details on how to get to the boat on their website.

For marine life you might see annually - SolmarV has a Youtube channel with several years of previous video trip reports.

My buddy went on Roio right after Christmas and dove with Hammerheads, Mnntas and a few smaller whales but no Humpbacks.

Dora and her husband are good people - friend of a friend and I met here when they were building the boat.

Casseiopea is a new one to me.

Aggressor is also starting a Socorros boat soon - info might be on their website.

Hi there,

Socorro is a great recommendation for January, it's a fantastic destination at that time of year. To answer your queries:

Marine Life - The whale sharks arrive Nov/Dec and there are also plenty of humpbacks through the winter. The giant manta rays are there all year. I've been through our reviews for each of the liveaboards that go to Socorro and they're all excellent and mention numerous mantas etc. We publish both positive and negative reviews, so they should give you an honest overview of the diving there. You can read them yourself on each liveaboard page, from the Socorro Liveabord Diving page.

Logistics - The closest international airport to Cabo San Lucas is Los Cabos International Airport and there are airport shuttles (and taxis, which are more expensive) to Cabo San Lucas. It might be possible to be picked up by the operator depending on who you go with. Let me know if decide on an operator and would like me to find out.

Current - There can be strong currents and big waves at Socorro. Some operators ask for 50+ logged dives and others only require OW and no minimum logged dives. All of the vessels would be fine with your logged dives but you can choose a vessel that suits your experience level to make sure you're comfortable with the diving, which is what I do as I get nervous in currents. The Rocio del Mar and Quino el Guardian don't require any logged dives, so I suggest looking at them first. Also, the Socorro Vortex has 20% Off January departures at the moment.

Prep - There is a thread all about which fins are good for current diving here. A couple of advanced courses to consider are PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy (which is really helpful, one of my favourites) and maybe Drift Diver to help with currents. You don't need to do either for this trip but they're an option to help with confidence.

Let me know if you'd like any more information. You can check out the individual islands and dive sites of Socorro on our Scuba Diving in Socorro page.

Enjoy your trip planning!

Thanks,

Kathryn

Thanks Kathryn! I was looking at mid-Jan. Given Whalesarks season is Nov - Dec and Humpback season is end Jan to Apr., Jan appears to be missing both?? Would Dec or Feb be better month than Jan? Would it require 7mm? Or 5mm+hood vest will do?

My buddy dove with Rocio a few years ago - you have to get to the boat which I believe is in a marina in San Jose Del Cabo - not Cabo San Lucas. Either expensive taxi or Collecitvo (shuttle) Rocio has details on how to get to the boat on their website.

For marine life you might see annually - SolmarV has a Youtube channel with several years of previous video trip reports.

My buddy went on Roio right after Christmas and dove with Hammerheads, Mnntas and a few smaller whales but no Humpbacks.

Dora and her husband are good people - friend of a friend and I met here when they were building the boat.

Casseiopea is a new one to me.

Aggressor is also starting a Socorros boat soon - info might be on their website.
Appreciate sharing your buddy's experience. I am leaning toward to Explorer. They appear to be experienced at reasonable price.

Thanks Kathryn! I was looking at mid-Jan. Given Whalesarks season is Nov - Dec and Humpback season is end Jan to Apr., Jan appears to be missing both?? Would Dec or Feb be better month than Jan? Would it require 7mm? Or 5mm+hood vest will do?

You're welcome. Dec or Feb would both be good months and I think the month you chose really depends on if you'd rather see whale sharks or humpbacks. There's a possibility of both in Jan if the seasons crossover, but I think Dec or Feb will give you a better chance of your preferred marine life. The sea conditions are similar for both months. Though if mid-Jan is your only option, I would still go as you'll have the giant mantas, plus also bottlenose dolphins in January.

Water temperature is around 28 C (82 F) in Nov and drops to 21 C (69 F) in Feb. Depending on which month you choose, a 5mm + hood or 7mm will be fine - personally I prefer to go for more warmth so would take a 7mm but it depends on your cold tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom