Socorro on Nautilus - Belle Amie vs Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks!

I can't wait to get to Socorro and am hoping to be able to do so in December later this year. After my terrible last LOB (the boat, not the diving), I am over doing a budget diving experience and want to ensure that I have a sturdy, safe boat; clean quarters, private bath and decent cabin; delicious food and some good service! Nautilus appears to meet those requirements in spades and I understand they are very safety conscious as well. As these boats are almost entirely booked up for 2018/2019 I have to get on it immediately - I am looking at the Belle Amie over Christmas or the Explorer just before Christmas - because the B.A. is entirely booked up, I only have the option of a superior cabin which is abut $1,000 USD than if I take the Explorer - it also takes less divers which is appealing given how crowded Socorro is getting these days!

Would the Belle Amie really be worth the extra cost or am I going to be just as good in a double or triple cabin on the Explorer, all other services being mostly equal? Love to hear your thoughts! THanks!

we took the Socorro trip on the Explorer this past December - another of the very few trips I would entertain repeating. Our room was the mid-ship double and am extremely glad we didn't upgrade to the more luxurious upper deck rooms. Weather was 'challenging' at times and being in the center of the ship and low was a blessing. The crew is berthed in the forward v-berth and were literally flying off their bunks at one point - most ended up sleeping in the living room. A few actually got seasick which to me is very telling how bad it was. We were fine. I was told that this was very typical for that time of year so you can expect the transits between the island dive sites to be sporty. Boat typically puts the hook down in sheltered areas so it wasn't an issue once you get there. AFA accommodations, I'd say look over the Nautilus web page and decide how much pampering you want. I have heard that the Belle Amie is superior in regards to luxury - that really wasn't a concern for me and the wife. That said, the Explorer was very nice and I have absolutely no complaints about the boat, crew, food, or operations. Awesome from my POV. Again, this is a trip that I'd be willing to do again - and that list is very short.

Back
Top Bottom