Socorro Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boiler-Racer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m reading up for a Socorro trip and was wondering how divers with cameras handle the negative descent entries from a RIB. Do they backroll while holding their camera close to their chest or is the camera handed down or put on a weighted line? I’ve done backroll and negative descent entries, but never with a camera.

I’m reading up for a Socorro trip and was wondering how divers with cameras handle the negative descent entries from a RIB. Do they backroll while holding their camera close to their chest or is the camera handed down or put on a weighted line? I’ve done backroll and negative descent entries, but never with a camera.

My camera is pretty compact so I hold it with my left hand on my chest, while holding my mask with my left hand when I do the backroll. It's only a couple foot drop, so no biggie.

For big camera, you let the DM to hand off your camera after you backroll. You don't do the 360 loop backroll. You do the sideway backroll so you can get upright quickly to reach out to your camera hand off, before doing the negative entry.

995DE1FD-6BF2-4D71-812F-378FB45DE48C.jpeg

The captain always handed me my camera after the roll. Most of our group never did a negative entry. Most would float at the surface until their buddy or group was ready and descend together. It was all very relaxed.

The captain always handed me my camera after the roll. Most of our group never did a negative entry. Most would float at the surface until their buddy or group was ready and descend together. It was all very relaxed.

My experience was similar. While we had large swell, currents were mostly a non-issue during my visit in November of 2019.

Same input from me. I've seen both ways. Larger set-ups were handed to the diver then descend. My set-up is similar to Dan's and folding in the arms, cradling it and rolling back has never been an issue for me. Just make sure your buddy knows which way you choose so he/she doesn't descend out of sight before you start. Bad buddy, bad!!

Don't do negative entries. It's rarely required. Personally I don't think they are safe.

I've been to Socorro three times and never done a negative entry, or rolled with my camera. It's always been possible to get it handed down from the RIB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom