Trip Report Socorro Real Time Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Some of us from Scubaboard including myself, @Soloist, @uncfnp and @Nancy MacD will be boarding Nautilus Belle Amie, heading to Revillagigedo archipelago or better known as Socorro. The boat has Wi-Fi access via satellite. So we thought it is a good opportunity to do a Real Time Review (RTR) of Socorro while we are on the boat.

We arrived at Cabo San Lucas last night and stayed in Tesoro Los Cabos, a feet walk away from See Creatures Dive Center, where we are supposed to check in for complimentary warmup dive around Cabo San Lucas Marine Park.

After breakfast some of us will be going to do the checkout dive in the morning.

We did the first warmup dive in Pelican Rocks. We entered the water ~ 9am and dove for 50 min, 75 ft bottom depth with average depth of 45 ft. Water temperatures ranged from 72 to 74 F. We saw the typical fish & critters such as Guineafowl Puffers, Morays, Giant Hawkfish, Spiny Lobster, etc. One new fish that I haven’t seen here before was Guitar Shark.l and we saw several of them there.

The second warmup dive was in Land’s End. We saw some of Sealions on the rock, we dove below the rock area, hoping to see them swimming around, but none went to the water, unfortunately. After a few minutes waiting to see the sealion to no avail, in surging & sandy bottom, we decided to proceed to the deeper water. We saw more Guitar Sharks and a neat Octopus crawling on the rocky area. The water there was colder than in Pelican Rock. The water temperature ranged from 67 F to 73 F. I forgot to bring my hood on these warmup dives & started to shiver with my 5mm wetsuit after 20 minute dive. I decided to thumb the dive, told my buddy & Mariano (DM) to go without me & ascent.

We finished the 2nd dive around 11:30 am, dropped our wet gears to Belle Amie and headed back to the Marina. Took a shower, packed up our bags, checked out of the hotel around 1pm, checked in to See Creatures, went out to lunch at Captain Tony’s.

The warm up dive with See Creatures is very nice. For me, they added the 2nd dive at no charge, perhaps because I had dived with them for a few days. Have a great trip to the Revillagigedos. Look forward to hearing about it.

Trip Report - Cabo San Lucas: See Creatures, Tesoro Hotel, May 21-24, 2019
Trip Report - Revillagigedos on the Nautilus Explorer, May 24-June 1, 2019

Thanks for the links to your trip reports. Will read your trip report tonight. :)

We are lining up for Antigen test at See Creatures now.

We asked one of the staff at See Creatures for a taste of local taco for lunch. She sent us to Taco Guss. We didn’t get the tongue she recommended but the shrimp and flank steak tacos were delicious. Presented with a tray of toppings and selection of sauces. Hmmm!

Attachments

• FEAE0539-2A5A-4A4F-98BC-AAA16871115E.jpeg
    FEAE0539-2A5A-4A4F-98BC-AAA16871115E.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 101
We asked one of the staff at See Creatures for a taste of local taco for lunch. She sent us to Taco Guss. We didn’t get the tongue she recommended but the shrimp and flank steak tacos were delicious. Presented with a tray of toppings and selection of sauces. Hmmm!

Lingua (tongue) is the best taco.

All 25 of the guests passed the Antigen test (negative results). So we are ready to board the boat after Captain Ramon briefs us that the boat is ready for boarding. :)

We were cleared to sail out around 10:30 pm. The weather is still a bit rough from the remnant of Tropical storm Andres that moving Northwest, away from Socorro. I took Bonine just in case.

Lights out around 11pm. Then didn’t get up until 5:30am. Apparently the rough sea smoothed out a couple hours later and turned into a normal Eastern Pacific Ocean rolling wave. Didn’t even notice that my buddy went to the bathroom around 2am.

We stayed in main deck cabin named Cortes, behind the lounge / entertainment room. The boat engine is so quiet, I just hear the waves crashing onto the bow, rather than the typical humming of the low-frequency engine noice.

Last night we just had some light snack like some California roll, humus, cheese & crackers, grapes & soft drinks, which were appropriate before heading out to the rough sea.

As far as the liveaboard status / update since the last trip I did on this boat in January (link to the trip report is posted in post #2, above), there are only 2 crews that I recognize since then:
1. Jessica, host from Vancouver.
2. Mariane, DM from Costa Rica, who was my Shark group DM from the last trip. So glad to see them again. :)

I feel it’s going to be a great week of diving in Socorro! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom