Socorros on the Rocio del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wanted to say we just returned recently from an awesome trip to the Socorros. Our 2 favorite dive sites were "The Boiler" and "Roca Partida." We had numerous encounters with dolphins, mantas and a whale shark on a couple of dives ! The last 2 dives of the trip at Roca Partida were some of the best dives I have ever had! We watched a school of yellow fin tuna go by for at least 20 minutes as the dolphins kept coming around. We saw Galapagos sharks, silver tips, hammerheads, silkys, one black tip, schools of jacks and tons of white tips! We were on the Rocio del Mar . The crew is amazing and the food was wonderful! They really do aim to please! If you have not been, you need to book a trip to the Revillagigedo Archipelago now! Ask to be in Juan David's dive group if you book with the Rocio del Mar. He is one of the best dive guides I have ever had the pleasure to dive with! Last but not least, the top side view at each of the Islands is very cool!!!

What water temp.s and how were surface conditions when you dove? I've never dove the Pacific, so I'm not familiar with what kind of seas you jump into & crawl out of.

Richard.

I am going in January. Can't wait to go

We did this trip in March. Water temps were between 70 and 75. Surface conditions varied with the wind -- sometimes we got into glass-flat water, and sometimes it was a bit sportier.

We had two dives at the Boiler that were non-stop mantas . . . even thinking about them now gives me Goosebumps. (Sorry for the capital; my autocorrect seems to think that word needs a capital.). And the boat and the crew were fabulous. I have nothing but great things to say about this trip.

I have a confirmed booking on the RdM to Socorro in mid-May 2015. Long awaited trip and cannot wait! I hope May 2015 is a "normal" May for the region and not like 2014.

Can anyone tell me what the dive conditions are usually like in May? Especially the currents - do we have to swim against them a lot or otherwise fight them?

I know powerful flashlights are not allowed but will they permit a small video light for the mantas and hammerheads?

Thanks for your update!

We have a group going in Jan.

Sounds like the possible " El Nino " did not affect your sightings. How warm was the water?

At what depth did you hit thermoclines?

Water temps were 79-81. I dove with a 5 and I was fine the whole time. Seas were pretty decent the whole time and I never remember having any crazy back rolls into rough seas. A few times there were some rollers getting into the panga but no big deal! It is an awesome trip!!! One of my favorites!
What water temp.s and how were surface conditions when you dove? I've never dove the Pacific, so I'm not familiar with what kind of seas you jump into & crawl out of.

Richard.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 08:12 AM ----------

We only hit thermoclines a few times at around 80'. ( I may have to ask others on that one as I really can't remember.) I am jealous! You will love it! We hit it just right for Roca Partida and the Boiler. Socorros Island itself was pretty quiet but it had a wicked current!
Thanks for your update!

We have a group going in Jan.

Sounds like the possible " El Nino " did not affect your sightings. How warm was the water?

At what depth did you hit thermoclines?

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 08:12 PM ----------

You are allowed to have lights on your cameras only! Your video light should be fine! You will love the crew , diving and food! Request Juan David's group!!!
I have a confirmed booking on the RdM to Socorro in mid-May 2015. Long awaited trip and cannot wait! I hope May 2015 is a "normal" May for the region and not like 2014.

Can anyone tell me what the dive conditions are usually like in May? Especially the currents - do we have to swim against them a lot or otherwise fight them?

I know powerful flashlights are not allowed but will they permit a small video light for the mantas and hammerheads?

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 08:13 PM ----------

Here is a quote from one of the guides from their second trip! This week was good, still big whale sharks at roca partida and the boiler still fantastic.Water is getting cold and we had very strong wind in our way back to Cabo.

Hope to see you soon.

Richard.

Jake, TS&M or anyone:

Did any of you dive at a site called "The Aquarium" in Socorro? I have heard that this is a macro site, therefore very atypical of rest of the diving on the trip. I would be interested to know what that dive site is like.

If it's the site I think it is, it's a kind of bowl in the boulders at one corner of the island, and it has a manta cleaning station. The rocks were full of interesting critters, with lots of octopuses, morays, peacock flounders, and others. These photos were taken there:

1969199_10152294404479216_43533332_n.jpg

1978632_10152294404484216_1776405229_n.jpg

1978787_10152294404354216_609116378_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom