Soft Sole vs Hard Sole Booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I searched to see if I could find an appropriate thread but couldn't. I rarely post, so if one stands out to you that I missed, just point me in the right direction.

I got certified last year with a pair of hand me down booties. They fit and they were free, that's all I cared about. Now my wife is getting cert. and I need to get her a pair of booties. Local diving is all quarries, and while I didn't mind my soft sole booties, I can imagine the hard sole being much more comfortable on entrance and exit.

We both picked up a pair of Deep6 Eddy fins on the black friday sale (just to give you an idea of fins).

I know lots of aspects of Scuba are not really one size fits all, but I think maybe booties can be the exception? I'd like to get my wife a pair of hard soles, but I don't want it to be too much in warmer water either. I guess my question is there any cons to hard sole? Is it harder to work out a cramp etc? I just don't want to make a purchase on them just to find out "X, Y, or Z" was the reason I shouldn't have. Truthfully, I'd like to buy one set for her that's versatile and be done with it.

Was thinking the "Mares Trilastic 5mm Sneaker Sole Dive Boot" sold at Leisurepro / Amazon as it's got great reviews. Any downside to using these in FL (we plan to go in August)?

Please let me know your thoughts, have a great weekend.

Unless you are doing rocky entries or are more stable on a boat ladder in hard soles it’s a personal thing. I prefer soft soles because I like the in water “feel” of them: I’m looking for my fins to feel like a part of my foot, like I grew fins, and I can flex my arch and point my toes more naturally in soft soles, but my goal is to feel like a sea creature. If you are doing tech and carrying a lot of weight hard soles may give you more stability. If the fins fin with one they may not fit with the other.

If you can go local, bring fins, try on, fit is crucial.

Hard soled booties are de rigeur on Bonaire for the rocky shore entries. My wife and I bought them for Bonaire but find they work well everywhere. I see no downside to hard soled booties.

Hard soled boots are the way to go, they are good for any terrain and any ladder. Hard or soft soled boots have nothing to do with cold vs. warm water however. What matters is the "thickness" of the boots' neoprene for use in cold or warm water. You can have a very thick soled boot in 3mm and in 8mm. My suggestion for warmer water is to find a 3mm hard soled boots and for colder water a 5 - 8 mm hard soled boots (thickness depends on water temp but usually 5 - 6 mm are good).

Mares Trilastics are good. I've used them for years. Comfortable and soles are quite resilient. I see only one minor downside. They do not have a Velcro zipper lock. I usually pull my wetsuit over the boots so it's not a problem. But if I don't, the zipper can work its way loose. Also: Buy a size smaller than you usually wear - they come quite big. And women's sizes are two sizes smaller than the equivalent men's size.

I used and loved the Mares Trilastic 5 for years. Highly recommend them. The only complaint I had about them was no tab across zipper to help hold closed.

Oops. Looks like tridacna beat me to it.

Edit: if the right size this is an even better boot and what I wear now.

For Sale - Fourth Element Amphibian Size 7

If you want to read lots on this, there are tons of threads in the Bonaire forums.

FWI - I wear Tusa Imprex 3 mm slippers. Hard bottom but a shoe not a boot shape.

Appreciated everyone's feedback. Knowing about the zipper coming down is good, would have never thought of that. The Tusa Imprex 5mm is basically the same, $10 cheaper and has the velcro for the zipper. I'm not opposed to different mm, it just seemed like my 5mm done the job in the quarry (full 7mm farmer john) and seemed like a good "middle of the road" point for warm / cold water.

Sorry @uncfnp, there too large for her.

@Charred, I looked at those but I think they wouldn't be enough for cold water.

Mares Trilastics are good. I've used them for years. Comfortable and soles are quite resilient. I see only one minor downside. They do not have a Velcro zipper lock. I usually pull my wetsuit over the boots so it's not a problem. But if I don't, the zipper can work its way loose. Also: Buy a size smaller than you usually wear - they come quite big. And women's sizes are two sizes smaller than the equivalent men's size.

She's small and wears size 7 in womens, which equate to size 5 in mens. I keep reading that you should get a size smaller than that, but they don't have 4 (for the Tusa's with the zipper lock). You think she'll be ok in a 5?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom