soft STA on wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pogonotroph

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question about the Deep 6 wings. The wings appear to have what looks to me like a STA made out of soft material that is held to the wing by velcro on the tank side of the wing. Is the idea that these are single tank adapters meant to reduce travel weight compared to a full metal STA? I'm assuming the velcro functions so that these soft STAs can be taken on or off if the diver prefers to use a regular metal STA?

That's probably a tank anti-roll stabilizer to help hold the tank. The wing seems like it can be used without a STA.

It can be removed if you want to use a STA.

Not exactly a STA though.

So what is the consensus on these? Do most people remove them and use a full metal STA instead?

On my travel rig I don't use any STA. My wing has slot where the cam band pass through and has also a soft anti-roll stabilizer.
I only used with 12L tanks (the ones you usually find in tropical places) and the combo is very solid. Moreover the tank is closer to the body (there is no STA thickness in between) and iit is more streamline.
Note that it makes more easy to operate the valve diving single, because it is closer to the body also.
I'd probably would not use it with a fat 18L tank, but the 15L would be great either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom