Soft vs Hard Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid contact Cave Adventurers and try the Oxycheq Recon sock, it's a very different type of mount.

Is "Recon" a typo/brain fart? Did you mean "Raider"?

I just ordered the Raider light sock, I got the Raider I&II so I hope that was the one to use with the D26. There was also the Raider III, but I got the I&II

The 3 is for a smaller light body. Based on how tight the D26 fits in the 1, I don't see any way the D26 would fit in a Raider 3.

I use soft, but actually it's just a thick piece of nylon with some sewn on Velcro. Quick donning/doffing is a matter of perspective. Slow, smooth, and controlled would be my approach.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.. <--_This message brought to you by the letter "O".

You need to switch the light to your right hand every time you adjust your buoyancy, whether adding air or reaching for the rear dump. Otherwise, you are likely either blinding your buddy or waving the light beam around and signaling a non-existent emergency. I don't see how you can easily do this with a soft handle. (A thumb loop makes the temporary transfer even easier.)

Last edited:
OK, sort of a side question, but one I've been curious about...with the twist operation of the lights, is it hard to turn one on with it in a goodman handle? I have an inexpensive goodman I bought with a light, but I've really wondered about this...

You don't need the handle to turn the light on, just grab the front and rear and twist. It's not like you're going to be turning it off and on during the dive.

You need to switch the light to your right hand every time you adjust your buoyancy, whether adding air or reaching for the rear dump. Otherwise, you are likely either blinding your buddy or waving the light beam around and signaling a non-existent emergency. I don't see how you can easily do this with a soft handle. (A thumb loop makes the temporary transfer even easier.)

That's been my thinking, but these guys seem to be saying it can be done with the Raider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom