Soft vs Hard Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That'll do it, thanks very much. I'm going to print it this evening. Do you think PLA @ 50% infill will be OK?

Printed in ABS with 25% infill. Also, note that I wear mens size small 3mm gloves.

1" 10-24 stainless steel screws, washers, and wingnuts to hold the handle to the top.

Two bungee loops to hold the light (just knots on the ends pulled up through the bottom) and then an over-the-top bungee to grab when switching hands

20170706_101505.jpg 20170706_101518.jpg

Printed in ABS with 25% infill. Also, note that I wear mens size small 3mm gloves.

1" 10-24 stainless steel screws, washers, and wingnuts to hold the handle to the top.

Two bungee loops to hold the light (just knots on the ends pulled up through the bottom) and then an over-the-top bungee to grab when switching hands

View attachment 416962 View attachment 416963

Thanks. ABS and I aren't good friends these days, so I'll trust the higher infill to make up for the relative weakness of the PLA. Had you given any thought to how to rigidly clamp down the 600 to allow one-handed operation? Mine takes a bit of torque to actuate, and would obviously just spin if held by bungees. At least with this rig, popping it off your hand to turn on or off is very easy, much more so than with my DGX soft handle.

Thanks. ABS and I aren't good friends these days, so I'll trust the higher infill to make up for the relative weakness of the PLA. Had you given any thought to how to rigidly clamp down the 600 to allow one-handed operation? Mine takes a bit of torque to actuate, and would obviously just spin if held by bungees. At least with this rig, popping it off your hand to turn on or off is very easy, much more so than with my DGX soft handle.

I use two hands to turn it on/off. WIth this setup, I pull the light all the way forward so the end cap it at the handle to change the battery. My only thoughts currently on a rigid mount would be to use the two flat spots (where the logo is) and use those to stop rotation.

In this tech dive, my buddy, who routinely uses a hard goodman is using my canisterless light with a soft goodman. We had no problems. My buddy regularly uses a light monkey can light. I only use canisterless lights with soft goodmans. For this dive my buddy's light was out for repair so I loaned him one of mine.

I have no problems taking off my light quickly. And just as Trace said earlier on the tread, I find that the snuggier soft goodman facilitates a more "hands free" experience, further enhanced by the lack of chord and can. I also think that the false signal risks are over rated. In all the years I've been using soft goodmans I can only recall once were a buddy commented that he thought once that I was signalling him but when he checked me up I was just unclipping spg from my hip d-ring.

In the video that shows us both using soft goodmans we are both carrying cameras, so the blinding that you see happening in the video is related to my video shooting, not to false signals. I was just trying to get more light on him for my video. You can see us with our soft goodmans from time stamp 2:25 onward.

How do you keep from waving the beam around while doing so? If you can't, what do your buddies think is going on at the time?

I just move my hand slowly and deliberately so my buddy knows I'm not signaling an emergency. My hand moves from pointing out to my drysuit inflator or wing inflator, then back out.

If you want to be a good little brainless fundie keep the hard handle. If you want approach diving in a thoughtful and purposeful manner you already know that the soft handle works better for you. DIR isn't blindly following some organizational standard it's intelligently approaching each dive with the correct and most efficient tools for that dive.

Back
Top Bottom