Software Preferences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA482

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Curious as to which program is used for post photo processing of your UW pictures. I hear "Photoshop" tossed around a lot, but isn't there several different levels? I'm not a professional photographer, but would like to have the much needed features of a good program to adjust my pics at a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Really depends what you are wanting to do with them? I really like lightroom. It does everything I want it to do- editing, cataloging etc. The nice thing about the adobe products and I sure this is the case with most you can download and try them for 30 days if you don't like the way that one works try a different one until you find the one that fits your needs. As for photoshop yes there are different ones from elements to the upcoming cs5(expensive). Good luck

2nd vote for Lightroom...I've used it for 3 years...

If you have a MAC you can't beat Aperture. Version 2 is good 3 is much better. Post production lets you make white balance adjustments, shadows, contrast, etc. White balance is an issue a lot of times because of varying depths and light. As far as Photoshop goes, Photoshop Elements is all you really need as a hobbyist. If you have Lightroom or Aperture you will find that you only use Photoshop Elements on those rare occasions when you need to add or remove things from your shot. Like you have a great shot of a soft coral and a great shot of a Frogfish and you "combine" the 2. This is done every day. Professionals also do this. If I was buying Software today I would get either Lightroom (PC) or Aperture (MAC). These run around $300 dollars but they are worth every penny. Shots you would have trashed before can be saved. Photoshop Elements can be purchased when you need that "fix", I think it is up to version 8 for PC and 7 for MAC. They run around $90 to $100. Make sure you read the box for system requirements. I get a ton of enjoyment playing with my photos, plus it will help you become a better photographer.

I find older Elements / Photoshop work fine. No need new / expensive; craigs list, flea Bay!

I've seen CS3 Design Premium for $250, and bought Elements 4 for $20!

My "newer" macbook has CS3 DP, powerbook has E4; I use the old mac / elements for most photo work; CS3 is just a "road show."

Lightroom and Aperture do some organizing "for you" as well as most of the "used" features of Photoshop. It seems there may be some photographers "only" using one of the top 4 programs; Photoshop CS"x", Lightroom"x", Aperture"x" or Elements"x" - I use the "free" Adobe DNG Converter and my $20 Elements to do most of my post processing.

I can't say enough positive things about Lightroom! I have had it for about 4 months and there is a real learning curve, I will admit. However, it is an amazing program that I wish I had had 4 yrs ago! I use a lot of software for many different purposes and this is one of the best in terms of ease of use and functionality.

It consists of two distinct, but overlapping, sectors (plus more, but for simplicity's sake, I'll leave it at two). One is the "Library" module and the other is the "Develop" module. The Library module is a database manager which allows essentially an infinite amount of image sorting, collection creation, naming, flagging with icons or key words, etc. All this is done without actually touching the image file. The database consists of a set of pointers that allow you to file/find/see your images easily.

The Develop module is the image editing module. Features of it are accessible by key combinations from within the Library module. Usually, the Develop is invoked and the editing panel is present with each edit procedure accessible by key combinations or clickable icon/movable slider. I assume that the editing subroutines are taken almost directly from other Adobe products such as Photoshop, although the names of the functions served by those routines may be different in Lightroom. The editing is pretty straightforward. I bought a book (Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process by Nathaniel Coalson) to help me learn the database side of things. Good book. With Develop, changes made in one image can be easily applied to a batch of images. Again, all changes are "virtual." That is, notations about your desired modifications are kept in the database and not actually burned into the original image file. That is the way things stay, unless you want to change them. The vast majority of necessary editing can be done directly in Lightroom. In some instances, it may be desirable to do more advanced editing. With a click or two, the Lightroom image is transferred to some other editor such as Photoshop where you can make your changes, then return directly to Lightroom where the Photoshop-edited image is now present.

Until implementing Lightroom, I had been relying on Picasa. I was and continue to be a fan of Picasa. Picasa is free and does a lot, particularly for quick image viewing and 1 click editing. However, Lightroom is so, so, so much better that the comparison is night and day. Picasa was very easy to slip into, but if you stay with it too long, it is hard to leave. Picasa is really designed for creating email-able small images, not for working with and retaining the quality of original photos. Picasa tends to degrade image quality (it cannot even save in TIF format, for example, let alone in a RAW format), whereas Lightroom retains image quality (although you can certainly degrade it if you wish). Although Picasa operates according to database management principles, it is much more limited than Lightroom. In my experience, one of the most difficult aspects of digital photography is the sheer number of images generated. That being the case, a high quality database manager designed for image management is of utmost necessity. Give it a look. I got a faculty discount copy for under $100. Really, really worth it.

Curious as to which program is used for post photo processing of your UW pictures. I hear "Photoshop" tossed around a lot, but isn't there several different levels? I'm not a professional photographer, but would like to have the much needed features of a good program to adjust my pics at a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Picasa works very nicely and it's completely free, from your friends at Google.

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

Terry

I am curious about all the recommendations for Lightroom. I use Photoshop Elements and find that it meets all of my needs. What is the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. What are the advantages of using Lightroom over Photoshop Elements?

Regards,

Bill

I am a Photoshop Cs4, soon Cs5 user. I have Lightroom but havn't gotten into it. If you shoot n RAW, then the newest RAW converter is what you want. Adobe is adding features to this all the time. You get RAW with Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom BUT older versions can't use the latest raw converter.

Most hobbiests use Lightroom because of cost. However you can get photoshop for $199 if you can simply get an older version to upgrade from.

Lightroom is late in version 2, with version 3 in its second beta test. A free download is available from Adobe and usable through the end of June, 2010.

For a somewhat dated (2007) comparison of Lightroom, Photoshop CS3/4/5 and Elements, see this commentary.

Adobe is marketing CS5 as a tool for professional image editing and, for photographers, to be used for photos managed by Lightroom. In contrast, Adobe characterizes Elements as the "#1 consumer photo-editing software." Technically, the names of each of these Adobe products are prefaced with "Photoshop," as in Photoshop Lightroom, Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop Elements.

I have never used Elements, but it certainly cannot begin to approach the sophistication of CS5. Lightroom is designed as a tool for managing large numbers of photos. It has very substantial editing capability, but cannot do but a fraction of things that CS5 is designed to do. For me, Lightroom is outstanding as a database manager for photos and does nearly all the editing I need. I also have CS3 and can take a file from Lightroom to CS3 for more sophisticated editing, if necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom